Women’s soccer clinches ninth straight win

Jacqueline Simeone ’18 notched an assist for the Ephs in their victory over Bates last Saturday.

Women’s soccer (13-1, 8-1 in the NESCAC) dominated this weekend against Bates, winning its ninth straight match by a score of 3-0. After two victories against Tufts and Middlebury last weekend, the women are close to clinching the right to host the  NESCAC tournament. Earlier this week, archrival Amherst lost to Conn. College, and now the women have a great shot at leading the NECSAC table.

The first half of the game was quite tense, with neither team scoring and the pressure on the Ephs to break through the Bobcats’ defense line mounting. In the dying minutes of the first half, the women broke through Bates’s defense, with Alex McInturf ’15 scoring a goal, assisted by a corner from Jacqueline Simeone ’18. McInturf’s fourth goal of the season tied her for third on the team in goals. The women went into halftime with the slight advantage, up 1-0 on the Bobcats.

In the second half, Alison Magruder ’15 scored a goal off a beautiful assist from leading goal scorer Audrey Thomas ’17. While Magruder led the women in goals in the 2013 campaign, this one was her first of the 2014 season. Maddie Swarr ’17 notched her third goal of the season to clinch a big win for the Ephs. Louisa Costa ’15 sent a clean pass through to Swarr, who managed to get into the penalty zone and sneak the ball past the Bobcats’ goalkeeper to make the score 3-0.

“We did well last Saturday to get on the road for a long trip and get the result. It puts us in a really great place for our last regular season game versus Hamilton,” tri-captain Hannah Van Wetter ’15 said. “By taking care of ourselves and getting the results we have wanted, we have put ourselves in the best possible position to be playing at home for as long as we can, which we all know that is the ultimate goal – to keep winning on Cole.”

With the victory over Bates, the women have won nine straight matches, with their only loss this season coming against archrival Amherst back on Sept. 20 by a score of 2-0. They are currently ranked No. 9 nationally and first in New England.

Results from the women’s  final regular season match against Hamilton yesterday afternoon came in too late to report.

The women will play their first-round matchup in the NESCAC tournament at Cole Field on Saturday which will kick off at 12:30 p.m. The women’s opponent, however, is still to be determined by final regular season NESCAC games.