Women’s cross country wins Plansky Invitational

Last Saturday, women’s cross country hosted the Plansky Invitational at their home course at Mount Greylock Regional High School. Many participants ran their last races of the season, while those representing the team at the NESCAC Championships this Saturday had the afternoon off. The women faced off against several other Div. III teams, as well as numerous alumni who returned to campus to race. Williams placed first at the meet with 24 points, ahead of second place Worcester Polytechnic Institute with 55 points and third place Conn. College with 77 points.

First across the finish line for the women in the coed 5k race was Kathryn McNaughton ’16, racing down the straightaway to the finish line in 20:01 to edge out Jessica Monzyk of the Albany College of Pharmacy. Close behind behind Monzek was Emily Shea ’16, who finished in 20:17.
In fourth place overall and third for the Ephs came Eliza Matt ’18, who earned a time of 20:22. Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18 followed Matt in 20:26, and Laura Stamp ’16 finished fifth for the Ephs with a time of 21:28. Rounding out the top seven in this race for the women were Laney Teaford ’17 and Nina Pande ’17, finishing in 21:19 and 21:23, respectively. Stamp, Teaford and Pande worked off each other throughout the race.

Right behind Pande finished the first female alum – former captain Brianne Mirecki ’14 – who crossed the line in 21:25. Fellow former captains, Lauren Philbrook ’09 and Cecilia Davis-Hayes ’11 were the next fastest alumni, each finishing with times of 21:59 and 22:11, respectively.

“We were really pleased with a lot of amazing performances as we near the end of the season,” tri-captain Amelia Ortiz ’15 said. “All of our girls ran extremely well and they all went out and gave it their all. Kathryn [McNaughton] was the shining star of the day and we are excited for her as well as all of our teammates that raced so beautifully this weekend.”

This Saturday, the women will travel to Middlebury to compete in the NESCAC Championships.