Volleyball undefeated at Hall Of Fame Tournament

Last weekend, volleyball (19-3, 7-1 NESCAC) played at the Hall of Fame Tournament, defeating MIT 3-1 and Trinity and Wheaton 3-0.

On Friday, the women opened their weekend at the Hall of Fame Tournament with a 3-1 win over MIT at Smith College. The set scores were 25-23, 22-25, 25-23 and 25-16.

The women started strong in the first set, downing the Engineers 25-23. MIT fought back in the second set, however, stealing the win 25-22. Refusing to go down, the Ephs grabbed the third set, 25-23.

The Ephs carried their winning momentum into the fourth set, where they exchanged the first nine points with MIT before barreling onwards. The score tied for the final time at 4-4, and a serving streak with two service aces from Amanda Schott ’15 set the Ephs on a seven-point streak. Williams pushed forward with a quick middle kill from Raea Rasmussen ’15 and a service ace from Tori Jasuta ’17 to set the score at 17-10. A kill from captain Claire Miller ’15 brought the Ephs to 21, and a quick middle attack from Shelby Fisher ’18 brought the team to 22. Katherine Lane ’16 finished the set with a major block followed by a kill from the middle, and the Ephs swept the final set, 25-16.

Volleyball finished at the Hall of Fame Tournament with a 6-0 streak, downing both Trinity and Wheaton in three sets each last Saturday. The set scores against Trinity were 25-21, 25-10 and 25-16, and those against Wheaton were 25-22, 25-21 and 25-20.

The Ephs started strong against the Bantams, who they downed 3-0 earlier in the season. The first set saw the women in a very slow start, with Trinity barreling ahead 15-5. Williams shook it off, however, and went on an 18-2 run, to eventually take the set, 25-20. The Ephs carried sturdy volleyball into the remaining two sets, sweeping the Bantams 25-10 in the second and 25-16 in the final set.

Later that day the women faced off against Wheaton. The Lyons put up a fight in each set, but the Ephs pushed on to win in three sets by 25-22, 25-21 and 25-20.

Setter Ryan Farley ’16 had a great weekend, dishing out assists and setting up her pin hitters for many one-on-one opportunities against the block. Standout hitters from the weekend were Miller and pin hitter Jasuta. Outside hitter/middle blocker Rasmussen was named to the Hall of Fame Invitational All-Tournament Team.

“We played some of our best volleyball so far this season against MIT, a top regional opponent,” Miller said. “The two team wins we put together on Saturday versus Trinity and Wheaton give us momentum heading into the last weekend of regular season play.”

The women will match up against Colby in Chandler Gymnasium on Friday at 8 p.m. On Saturday, the women take on Bowdoin at 2 p.m.