Men’s cross country readies for NESCACs

Men’s cross country hosted the Plansky Invitational last Saturday at Mount Greylock Regional High School. In addition to visiting teams from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Clark, Conn. College, St. Joseph and Albany College of Pharmacy, many Williams alumni returned to compete. While many top individuals for the Ephs rested in preparation for this weekend’s NESCAC Championships, for others, Saturday’s race was the last of their 2014 season.

Worcester Polytechnic Institute took home the victory with a score of 25 points to the Eph’s 41. Clark University finished in third with 90 points.

Though alumni do not score in the meet, two former Ephs were the first two finishers in the race. Connor Kamm ’10 cruised past the rest of the field to win in 16:22, while Brandon Abasolo ’13 ran 16:45 to place second. Kamm won this race a year ago in a blazing fast time of 15:43.

Luke Hinz ’17, the team’s first-place runner, placed fifth with a time of 16:55. Any time under 17 minutes is considered elite on the challenging Mount Greylock course. Not far behind was Andrew Bloniarz ’18, finishing seventh in 17:07.

Alex Kilman ’18 and Michael Byrns ’18 were Williams’ third and fourth runners, placing 15th and 16th, respectively. Kilman ran 17:19 while Byrns finished in 17:25. Hiroshi Kirby ’17 placed 24th in 17:37, followed by Jahangir Habib ’18 in 31st place with a time of 17:52. Will Kirby ’17 finished in 17:55 to secure 33rd place and round out the Eph’s top seven.

“It’s a blast getting to see all of the alumni back on campus, and it’s always interesting to see what kind of shape they’re in a few years out,” co-captain Daniel Siegel ’15 said. “Having them in the race also spices things up for the guys who are running their last race of the season.

On Saturday, Williams will travel to Middlebury for the 2014 NESCAC Championships. The Ephs are the defending NESCAC Champions and have won six of the past eight conference titles.