Men’s crew nabs 14th-place finish

Last Saturday, men’s crew traveled to Princeton for the Princeton 3-Mile Chase. Williams joined the top Div. I schools from across the nation in addition to Div. III rivals Trinity, Virginia and Temple in the men’s last race of their fall 2014 season.

The Eph’s top boat placed 14th out of 20 first varsity crews. In total raw times, the first boat placed 23rd out of 63 crews that raced in the event. Most notably, the men finished 0.5 seconds ahead of Virginia and 29 seconds ahead of Trinity. These results are a significant improvement on the results at the Head of the Charles on Oct. 19 where the Ephs were behind Virginia by 13 seconds and only ahead of Trinity by five seconds. The first boat also defeated the 1V boats of MIT, Columbia, Temple and Rutgers.

The second boat had a great showing, finishing in 35th place overall and 12th out of 18 second varsity boats. Though the boat got off to a slow start with the 43rd fastest halfway split time, they went full tilt in the second half to post the 23rd fastest split. The 2V’s second half time was impressively two seconds faster than the first boat’s second half split time. The 2V boat had an overall time that was 15 seconds behind the 1V, which is a great display of the team’s depth.

The third varsity boat struggled against the tough Div. I competition. In addition, a strong headwind in the second half of the race slowed the 3V. Yet, the boat fought hard to finish ahead of the Trinity 3V and Penn 4V.

“Our top two boats had really solid showings against top Div. 1 crews,” co-captain Peter Awad said. “We showed some nice improvements over the Head of the Charles as well.”

The Princeton 3-Mile Chase marks the conclusion of the fall rowing season for the men, as they now head indoors soon for a long winter of off-season training. The men come back in season on Feb. 15th and will finally return to the water again on their annual spring break training trip in North Myrtle Beach, S.C.

“This offseason we are focusing more on strength in order to increase our top end speed,” continued Awad. “A long season of two-a-days awaits.”