Frosh Revue charms with humorous student talent

Frosh Revue entertained parents and students alike last weekend at the ’62 Center. Photo courtesy of Kimberley Golding

Of the many shows and activities that make up the smorgasbord of fun that is Family Days, perhaps none is better known than Frosh Revue – the annual first-year variety show most notable for its strange posters and aggressive Paresky tabling tactics. The show is a relative enigma; it is something that exists on the annual calendar but whose particularities defy the majority of the student body’s understanding.

Which is why, now that I’ve seen the performance put on by Frosh Revue, I’m more than pleased to report that it’s not at all what I expected. On the contrary, this year’s Some Like It Frosh provided what has to be one of the highest quality theatrical performances of the entire year: a celebration of all the fun, the misunderstandings and the often strange experiences that constitute an average first year at the College. For one thing, the writing of each individual sketch was far better than I, or I think many other people in the audience, would have expected from a group that was only formed two months ago. Quirky takes on traditions at the College, combined with the templates we all know from popular culture and film, made the show something that was truly spectacular and full of jokes that everyone, regardless of their level of familiarity with the school, could understand.

The acting was also outstanding. Standout performances from actors such as Caroline McArdle ’18 and John Sciales ’18 added a professional veneer to the sketches that would have impressed even the most serious theatrical critic. Indeed, the impressive ability of these two actors, along with the rest of the cast, to read their scenes – to go all out when they needed to go all out and fall back when they needed to let their fellow cast-mates shine – showed just how insightful, how theatrically wise, the entire performance was. Director Scott Daniel ’17 shared a similar sentiment, saying “I’m super proud of this year and all the effort the frosh put into making the show what it was.”

However, the most impressive part of the show, and the part of the performance I was most surprised by, was something slightly more intangible – how unbelievably funny it was. Whether it was an interpretation of the Wizard of Oz pertinent to the College, a song lamenting our college’s lackluster dating scene, a parody of Family Days or a John Hughes tribute to snack bar, every individual sketch had at least a dozen guaranteed laughs, an experience that I didn’t at all expect walking into the ’62 Center.

And so, while Frosh Revue may not have provided the exact experience that I would have anticipated based on its marketing scheme, it still provided one that I won’t forget – an enjoyable, artistically fulfilling and funny reproduction of our first year at the College that anyone, young or old, student or parent, could enjoy.