Ephs dominate Bobcats 3-1

Photo courtesy of CALLEN PHOTO Caitlin Conlon ’15 recorded five shots and an assist in the women’s 3-1 over Bates last weekend.
Photo courtesy of CALLEN PHOTO
Caitlin Conlon ’15 recorded five shots and an assist in the women’s 3-1 over Bates last weekend.

After three straight losses, field hockey (8-6, 5-4 in the NESCAC) bounced back, defeating NESCAC rival Bates by a score of 3-1 last Saturday. This is exactly the result Eph Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 was looking for after the momentum her team built last game that was too little too late to pull out a victory.

The Ephs got off to a slow start last Saturday. While they maintained most of the possession, the Ephs’ offense was atypically flat. The Bobcats were equally lagging, leaving the entire first half scoreless.

Both teams came out in the second half with much more fire. The Bobcats put in the first goal of the game off an early second half penalty corner. A shot sent diagonally across the circle put the Bobcats up 1-0.

The first Eph goal came two minutes later. Co-captain Caitlin Conlon ’15 gained control of the ball on the left wing and sent a cross into the circle. Annie VanWagenen ’16 collected it and fired the ball to the right corner to tie up the game 1-1.

Most of the Ephs’ scoring opportunities came from corners. Williams went ahead 2-1 on a goal off a corner. Katie Gallop ’17 scored after winning the rebound that deflected off the left post. Hannah Goodrick ’18 put in the final goal off a corner, as well, securing the Ephs’ victory by a score of 3-1.

The Ephs outshot the Bobcats 27 to 11 with 10 shots on goal, compared to only five from the Bobcats. The women dominated in penalty corners, collecting 16 corner opportunities to Bates’ five. VanWagenen led the Ephs with 10 shots and goalie Margaret Draper ’17 collected four saves.

“Despite being scored on first, the team stepped up and responded quickly,” Conlon said. “The Bates goal woke us up and we responded with three goals in 14 minutes,” Coach Barrale added.

The women are currently sixth in the NESCAC standings, and will have an opportunity in the conference playoffs to improve upon their performance from last season. The women get one last regular season chance to improve their record today when they hit the road to play at Hamilton in Clinton, N.Y., at 6 p.m.

“We have what it takes and we  will give all we can to win,” Barrale said.