Captains’ Corner: Annie Rojas ’15

Annie Rojas '15
Annie Rojas ’15

Annie Rojas ’15

Field Hockey

Wilmette, Ill. 

Residence: 21 Spring Street

What’s your pre-game ritual?

Lots of little things, but one is that we wear our pinnies during warm-ups and then put our jerseys on right before the game starts, so when we get to the field I fold my jersey and lay it at the same spot on the bench every time before we start our warm-up.

What’s your most embarrassing moment in your sport?

One time during a game in high school it was raining, and I went to hit the ball, but I lost my footing and completely whiffed and just spun around and fell on my butt.

What’s your least favorite school to play at?

I don’t really have one; some turfs are better than others, but I like that it adds something different to every game.

What was an achievement in your sport that you feel proudest about?

Beating Trinity earlier this season was a win that made me really proud.  We had never beaten them during my time here and we came from behind to win, so it was very exciting. It’s also cool to have that tangible proof of improvement between freshman year and senior year.

If you could play another sport at Williams, what would it be?

Tennis.

What’s your favorite song to listen to at the gym?

“Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson. It’s a little cheesy, but it always keeps me going.

Who’s your pro-athlete crush?

Patrick Sharp or Derek Jeter.

What is your favorite road trip memory?

A couple of my teammates live along the routes we drive to certain schools, so we’ve stopped at their houses for pre-game meals.  Getting to see their baby pictures around their house is always good for a laugh.

What’s your favorite snack before a game?

Banana with peanut butter.

What is the team tradition you value most?

After every practice preceding a game, we sing the Williams fight song.

Which professor would you most like to play against in your sport?

I don’t know about professors, but I would love to play against my coaches some time.  One of them was an All-American, and the other was an Olympian, so it would be really challenging but definitely a lot of fun.

What’s your major?

Chemistry.