Women’s tennis clinches two crowns at NEWITTS

Last weekend, women’s tennis (2-0) travelled to Smith and Mt. Holyoke to compete at the NEWITTS. The Ephs placed three teams in the finals and two emerged champions, as the women captured both the Flight A and Flight B crowns.

The Ephs’ No. 1 tandem of co-captain Maria Pylypiv ’15 and co-captain Rebecca Curran ’15 advanced with a 2-1 win over the top team from Brandeis. The duo claimed the doubles point with an 8-6 win and then split the singles matches to fashion the 2-1 result.

Playing as the No. 2 Eph team and also competing in Flight A, Linda Shin ’17 and Juli Raventos ’18 also posted a 2-1 win, downing the Wesleyan No. 1 team. Again the Ephs prevailed in doubles by an 8-6 margin.

In Flight B action, the No. 3 Williams team of Julia Cancio ’18 and Mia Gancayco ’18 beat Mount Holyoke’s No. 1 team 3-0. The Ephs won the doubles match 8-1 and both singles matches in straight sets.

The No. 4 Eph team of Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio ’18 and Hannah Atkinson ’17 also posted a 3-0 win in Flight B, downing the Wheaton No. 2 team. The Ephs claimed an 8-0 doubles win and two straight set wins in singles play.

In the quarterfinals, Pylypiv and Curran playing in Flight A won their quarterfinal match over Middlebury’s No. 1 team by a score of 2-1. The Ephs won the doubles point by a score of 8-4. Pylypiv defeated her opponent in straight sets for the match clincher, while Curran’s opponent defeated her in straight sets.

The Eph No. 1 team’s tournament run ended in the semifinals when they were ousted by the Amherst No. 1 team. Amherst won 3-0, taking the doubles point 8-4 and winning both singles matches.

Williams’s No. 2 team, however, also competing in Flight A, won both its quarterfinals match and its semifinal match to advance to the final. The tandem of Shin and Raventos defeated the Amherst No. 2 team 3-0. Coming off an 8-5 win in doubles, both Shin and Raventos recorded straight set victories in singles play to advance to the semifinals.

In the semifinals the Eph pair was matched up against the Babson No. 1 team. The duo punched their ticket to the finals by downing the Babson duo 2-1. An 8-4 doubles win was accompanied by a Raventos straight set win.

Both Eph teams in the B Flight advanced to the finals where they faced each other for the title.

The pairing of Gancayco and Cancio beat the No. 3 team from MIT 3-0 in the quarterfinals before downing the No. 3 Amherst team 2-1 in the semifinals.

Williams’s No. 4 team, composed of McDonnell Nieto del Rio and Atkinson advanced through both rounds, winning the quarterfinal match 3-0 over the Wesleyan No. 3 team before another 3-0 win over Amherst No. 4.

In the finals, facing off against Amherst No. 1 composed of Sue Ghosh and Vicki Ip, Shin and Raventos emerged victorious in a hotly contested battle, 2-1.

The Ephs captured the doubles point with an 8-6 win to take a 1-0 lead into the two singles matches. In singles play, Shin played Vicki Ip while Raventos was matched up against Sue Ghosh. Notably, both Eph players lost to their respective opponents last weekend. Both singles matches went to the tiebreaker and it was Shin’s win 3-6, 6-2, 10-6 that provided the margin of victory.

In the Flight B championship match it was an all-Williams affair with the No. 3 Gancayco and Cancio facing off against No. 4 McDonnell Nieto del Rio and Atkinson.

The Ephs’ No. 3 team claimed an 8-1 doubles win to take a 1-0 lead into singles play.

The singles matches featured Cancio versus McDonnell Nieto del Rio and Gancayco playing Atkinson.

Gancayco defeated Atkinson in a match that requried a tiebreaker 6-3, 1-6, 10-7 and Cancio prevailed in straight sets 7-6, 6-2 over McDonnell Nieto del Rio.

On Oct. 11, women’s tennis took on rival Amherst in a dual match. The match came right down to the wire, with Williams squeaking out a 5-4 victory.

“The fact that we had two Williams teams in the semifinals and were able to pull out two victories is a testament to our talent and toughness,” Curran said.