Women’s golf captures first at Wellesley Invite

Women’s golf  took first place last weekend at the Wellesley Invitational. This is the team’s fourth straight first-place tournament win.

On Saturday, the team finished up with 321, leading over NYU by four strokes and over Mount Holyoke by five strokes. Saturday was very cold with constant rain causing most of the competitors to have higher scores than usual. Tracey Kim ’17 tied for first place with a score of 75.  Captain Shelby Shote ’15 finished her round with a strong performance in the final three holes, ending up with a score of 79. Kelly Kung ’16, Phoebe Mattana ’18 and Sarah Hasselman ’17 finished their rounds with scores of 83, 84 and 86, respectively.

Sunday morning brought very cold weather, and temperatures quickly reached the low 50’s as the day went on. The team finished up the day with a collective score of 303 – the second-lowest one-round score in the team’s history. The women finished 14 strokes ahead of NYU to win the tournament overall. Kim ended up with a 73 for the round, a two-day total of 148. Kim earned top individual honors for her superior performance throughout the tournament. Shote finished in third after shooting 153, and Mattana shot a 162 to end up in ninth place. Mattana and Hasselman both shot 78 for the day. The Ephs impressively have had individual medalists in three of the five tournaments they competed in this fall.

The win this weekend at Wellesley was a great way to wrap up a successful fall season for the Ephs.

“The team fought through some tough weather on Saturday and finished the fall with a strong win,” co-captain Caroline Sewan ’15 said. “It was great to see Tracey [Kim ’17] win her first collegiate tournament.”

The team is looking forward to preparing for their upcoming spring season tournaments. The women look to repeat an extremely strong performance at the NCAA Div. III Championships, where the team finished third last year, finishing the year the No. 3 ranked team nationally.

The women have won three straight tournaments in a row, with the only tournament they did not finish in first being the Dartmouth Invitational, which included Div. I opponents.