Women’s crew places two in top 25 at Charles

Women’s crew traveled to Boston last weekend to race at the 50th Annual Head of the Charles. Both the 1V and 2V competed in the women’s collegiate eight event at the world’s largest two-day regatta. The Ephs were hoping to regain a spot in the top three, but tough conditions and strong competition left them looking for more. The 1V finished in 8th with a time of 17:59.00, and the 2V finished in 23rd with a time of 18:59.30. First place went to rival NESCAC team Bates.

Starting bow number nine, the 1V struggled to find its stride in the hectic environment of the Charles. With a stiff headwind working against them at the beginning of the course, the Ephs got off to a slow start. They regained their rhythm through the middle of the race, posting competitive splits throughout the second and third mile and passing rival crew WPI, but it wasn’t enough to get them a place on the podium.

The 2V is also looking forward to gaining more speed throughout the rest of the fall and winter seasons. Starting bow number 11, the young crew was challenged by the wind and the experience of competing mostly against other teams’ 1Vs.

The Head of the Charles also saw the return of alumni spanning two decades. The alums raced Saturday, finishing 18th and earning an automatic requalification for next year. They stayed to support the team Sunday, ensuring that every bridge was packed with fans cheering “Go Williams!”

The women will race next Saturday at the Head of the Fish in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. This regatta will be the last fall race for the team and will include the squad of novice women. Both teams are excited to demonstrate what they have learned this season and end the season with strong performances across the board.

“As a team, we’re looking forward to our last fall season race this weeken as an opportunity to execute and perform,” co-captain Piper Sallquist ’15 said.

.