Volleyball snaps 12 match win streak

Volleyball (18-3, 7-1 in the NESCAC) faced a string of opponents, downing Bates, Springfield and Conn. College and falling to Clarkson and  Tufts.

Last Saturday, Williams faced onference foe, Conn. College. The Ephs swept the Camels 25-22, 26-24 and 25-17. The Ephs dominated, with a hitting percentage of .327 compared to the Camels’ percentage of .167. Captain Claire Miller ’15 and Tori Jasuta ’17 had a game-high 14 kills each, and Caitie Benell ’17 and Miller each had a game-high of nine digs each.

Last Friday, the Ephs suffered their first conference defeat to NESCAC rival Tufts. In the first set of the match, the score remained close early on. After being tied at 10-10, the Ephs gained the lead, bringing the score to 15-11. The Jumbos battled back, but the Ephs held the lead and took the last five points of the set in a row to win the set 25-17. The second set remained close until the Jumbos went on a five-point streak to take a decisive 21-14 lead. Although the Ephs fought back, they were unable to make up the seven-point deficit and lost the set 25-18. In the third set, the Jumbos started strong, gaining a 12-6 lead over the Ephs. The women shrunk the deficit to just two points at 19-17, but Tufts stayed in control and won the set 25-21. Williams quickly grabbed a 5-1 lead in the fourth set. Tufts came back, however, to tie the score at 14-14. The Jumbos took the next three points to gain a 17-14 lead and allowed the Ephs only three more points as they went on to win the set 25-17 and the match 3-1. Jasuta led the offense with 13 kills, followed by Katherine Lane ’16 with 10 kills. Jasuta and Miller led the defense, with Jausta with nine digs and Miller with eight.

“It was a disappointing loss against Tufts on Friday night, but we bounced back in an important way on Saturday with a win versus Conn. College,” Miller said. “Being consistent in these last two weeks of the regular season will make us successful in the NESCAC tournament and beyond.”

On Oct. 11, the women traveled to Springfield, Mass. for the Tom Hay Invitational, facing Clarkson and Springfield. Williams faced Clarkson first on Sunday in a highly contested matchup. The women and Clarkson traded sets until Clarkson clinched the fifth set 15-4, winning the match 3-2. Jasuta dominated the offense with a team high of 19 kills and Benell led the defense with 20 digs.

Later that day, Williams faced Springfield in a much anticipated matchup. In the first set, after a tie score at 5-5, the Ephs grabbed the lead and eventually took the set 25-16. At 23-23 in the second set, the Ephs won the next two points off kills by Jasuta and Catherine Egan ’16 to win the set 25-23. In the third set, the Ephs charged ahead to a nine-point lead, 22-13. A string of errors by the Ephs and a kill by the Pride allowed them to approach the Ephs’ lead by bringing the score to 23-18. However, two subsequent errors by the Pride clinched the set for the Ephs, 25-18 and allowed the Ephs to take the match 3-0. Jasuta led the team offensively and defensively with 13 kills and 11 digs.

On Oct. 10, the women faced off against Bates  in a crucial conference matchup. The Ephs handily took the match, sweeping the Bobcats 3-0 with scores of 25-20, 28-26 and 25-16. Jasuta and Ryan Farley ’16 led the attack with eight kills apiece. For the defense, Raea Rasmussen ’15 had the team high of five blocks, and Jasuta and Miller both had eight digs each.

Next weekend, the Ephs venture to Northampton, Mass. for the Hall of Fame Tournament. Friday night, the Ephs will face MIT at 7 p.m. On Saturday, the women will match up against conference opponent Trinity at 10 a.m. and Wheaton at 2 p.m.