The case against night classes

We feel that scheduling additional night classes would have both benefits and drawbacks for the student body, but on balance it would be a mistake to not consider other options first. Adding night classes would help resolve the current scheduling conflicts and alleviate the demand for classrooms during the day. It would also benefit the student body by providing students with more options and increased flexibility for scheduling classes. Due to the popularity of the midday time slots, students often face difficulties with scheduling all the classes they would like to take. Thus, creating additional time slots for classes could help lessen this problem. Additionally, for students who prefer later class times to morning time slots, night courses would be beneficial.

We realize, however, that many student activities, including music and theater rehearsals, lectures and other events, occur during the evening. Night classes would conflict with these activities and might force students to choose between taking a course or participating in an extracurricular activity. It can be challenging for students to find the time to participate in various extracurricular activities within the constraints of the current schedule, and this change would only make it more difficult. While we realize that we are here at the College first and foremost as students and thus academics should be our focus, we believe it is unrealistic to expect students to give up activities they care about in order to schedule classes they wish to take.

Therefore, we at the Record believe that a better solution to current scheduling conflicts would be to delegate more classes to early morning and late afternoon time slots. These time slots, such as the 9 a.m. and 2:35 p.m. slots, are not currently utilized as much as the popular midday time slots. Professors select the time slots for their courses, often based on convenience of time as well as classroom location, and we feel that the current process of class-time selection could be altered to result in a more equal distribution of classes throughout the day. Diffusing classes more evenly throughout the day would help deal with the lack of available classroom space. This distribution would also allow students more flexibility in choosing courses, but unlike scheduling classes at night, it would not force students to decide between participating in evening extracurricular activities and taking the classes they would like to take.