Men’s crew exhibits depth at Charles

The 1V battled to a seventh place finish at the 50th Head of the Charles Regatta last Saturday in Boston, Mass.

On Sunday, men’s crew sent three boats to race in the 50th Head of the Charles Regatta.

Battling incredibly tough conditions similar to the previous two years, men’s crew pushed through to finish seventh, 19th and 40th. The Ephs competed in the collegiate eight events that brought 44 teams to race on the 4.8k course. Williams was fortunate to take three boats again this year after being the first team in history last year to accomplish such a feat. This feat is in large part due to their consistent ability to place two boats in the top 20, earning an automatic qualifier.

The first varsity boat, with bow number four, crossed the start line first into a strong headwind. The second varsity followed a few minutes behind at bow number 15, then the third varsity at bow number 22. In headraces, teams are assigned a number based on the previous year’s performance. Teams are then sent onto the course at around fifteen second intervals creating a time trial format race.

The first varsity boat started behind Virginia and in front of Wesleyan. The first varsity finished seventh behind Michigan, Hobart, Grand Valley, Virginia, Delaware and WPI, respectively. This put them ahead of the top New England competition, including Trinity, Bates, Boston College and Wesleyan, but behind ECAC crews of Michigan and Hobart. This is in line with the results at the end of the 2014 spring season.

The Williams 1V came in at 15:41.1, the 2V at 16:01.3 and the 3V at 16:46.7. The gaps between boats was fairly encouraging showing the depth of the team.

The second varsity had another solid outing, receiving an automatic qualifier with their 19th place finish. The Williams 2V started behind Bates and ahead of Notre Dame. Though 19th place is on the lower end of the finishes in the last few years, the depth of the field this year was strong.

The third varsity finished 34th raw time, but was assessed a one-minute penalty for failing to yield to a passing crew. This penalty dropped its place to 40th.

“All three varsity boats we sent out had competitive pieces and we achieved many of our pre-race goals,” co-captain Peter Awad said. “The field is getting faster each year so we have to work even harder this off-season to stay on top in the spring.

All three varsity boats will head to Princeton, N.J. this weekend to face off against Div. I competition as well as Virginia and Trinity. All of the first-years will travel to Saratoga Springs, N.Y. for the Head of the Fish this weekend.