Field hockey defeated by nationally-ranked foes

Field hockey (7-6, 4-4 in the NESCAC)  had four tough games over the past two weeks. The women started off strong on Oct. 11, with a 4-1 win against Little Three rival Wesleyan, but fell to Bowdoin 5-0 on Oct. 12, then to Skidmore 3-1 on Oct. 14 and lastly to Tufts 2-1 last Saturday.

After going scoreless in the first half against the No. 10 Jumbos last Saturday, the Ephs stepped up their game entering the second half. Down by two, the Ephs were playing with urgency, hoping for some offensive sparks. This spark came at the 55-minute mark by Julianna Kostas ’18. Despite being down by two for the majority of the game, the Ephs never stopped fighting for goals. However, the women fell to Tufts in a hard fought game, 2-1.

On Oct. 14, facing Skidmore, the No. 11 team in the country, the Ephs were not intimidated. Alex Bennett ’18 found co-captain Caitlin Conlon ’15 wide open at the center, who easily sailed one past the goalie 25 seconds into the game. What first looked like a promising start for the Ephs resulted in another disappointing loss. The Thoroughbreds created more scoring opportunities for themselves, outshooting the Ephs 14 shots to six. The women ultimately fell to Skidmore 3-1.

The women’s senior day on Oct. 12 against Bowdoin, who is ranked No. 2 in the nation, was a much more difficult game. The nationally ranked Polar Bears were favored to win this game with only having one loss on their record. Bowdoin outshot Williams 23 shots to three in the entirety of the game and created 19 penalty corners for themselves as opposed to Williams’ one corner. Needless to say, Bowdoin dominated the game in all aspects, attributing to their 5-0 victory.

In their game against Wesleyan on Oct. 11, the Ephs were ready to play from the first whistle. The beautiful weather and dedication of Williamson Field made it a prideful day to be an Eph. After a shaky first half for the Ephs, the score was tied 1-1 entering the second half. The goal for Williams came from Kit Rosen ’17, assisted by Annie Van Wagenen ’16 off of a corner play at 13:54 in the first half. Wesleyan was able to capitalize on a corner opportunity in the first half to tie the score and leave the field at half time feeling satisfied. The Ephs scored three goals in the second half and conceded no Cardinal goals. Conlon scored two goals and Rachel Brissette ’17 also capitalized on a corner play. The Ephs’ diversity in their offensive attacks allowed them to create so many opportunities for themselves.

Hopefully, the Ephs can take what they have learned from these losses and make room for improvements in the two remaining games of their season. The team’s first shot at this will be at Bates at 11 a.m. this Saturday.

“We played two very competitive teams and although the outcome did not show it, we played well as a team,” Conlon said. “We are working hard in practice and are looking forward to showing the progress we’ve made in our comings games,” added co-captain Annie Rojas ’15.