Athletes of the Week 10/24/14: Anna Harleen ’18 and Austin Lommen ’16

Anna Harleen '18
Anna Harleen ’18

Anna Harleen ’18
Women’s cross country
Ross, Calif.

“Anna has progressed exceptionally during her brief time at Williams: training smart without overdoing, packing up with teammates at controlled pace and then building pace the latter third of each race and finally unleashing her speed with a most effective kick.” – Head Coach Peter Farwell ’73

Harleen sped past competition last Saturday to claim first place in the Little Three Championships at Mt. Greylock Regional High School to help the women best archrivals Amherst and Wesleyan. She finished in a time of 18:53, four seconds ahead of Amerst’s Savanna Gornisiewicz and five seconds ahead of teammate Emily Sundquist ’18. Her devastating final kick and diligent pacing helped the women claim six of the top seven spots in the race en route to their dominating victory.

Austin Lommen '16
Austin Lommen ’16

Austin Lommen ’16
Football
Minneapolis, Minn.

“Austin’s getting better each week. He’s a natural leader and the team is beginning to rally around him. In addition to being a gifted athlete, he’s a tremendous person and a student of the game, who we’re excited to have at Williams.” – Head Coach Aaron Kelton

Lommen passed for 243 yards and three touchdowns in last weekend’s 27-20 loss to Tufts. He completed 24 of 39 pass attempts, good for a 62 percent completion rate and his three touchdowns were the most he has thrown all season. Lommen connected on two touchdowns to Steven Kiesel ’15 and one to  Darias Sime ’16. He admirably led the team on a 61-yard touchdown drive to cut the men’s 14-point deficit in half with five minutes remaining in the game.