Women’s tennis shines at Middlebury Invitational

Women’s tennis (1-0) had a very strong showing this weekend at the Middlebury Invitational, losing only one singles match and one doubles match the entire day. The women played a total of 23 matches on Saturday, coming up against players from Middlebury, Case Western Reserve and Army.

Playing as the No. 1 seed, Linda Shin ’17 suffered the Ephs’ only singles loss of the day in a tough game against Carolyn Pitman of Army with a final score of 4-6, 6-3, 8-10. However, Shin redeemed this loss in her second match of the day, which she won 6-2, 6-3. Tri-captain Maria Pylypiv ’15 fought hard to win her first match 6-1, 6-7 (0-4), 10-7 while her second match ended in a much easier 6-2, 6-1 victory. Maria Gancayco ’18 also had a tough match but persevered to win 6-3, 4-6, 10-8. Tri-captain Rebecca Curran ’15 also had a strong two matches, winning her first one 6-3, 6-1 and her second one 6-4, 6-3. Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio ’18 crushed both of her opponents, first securing a 6-4, 6-0 victory before winning her second match 6-1, 6-1.

The team kept the success of the day going in doubles, winning seven of their eight matches. The No. 1 doubles pair, Curran and Pylypiv, defeated their Army opponents 8-3 while Gancayco and Shin had to work a little harder to secure an 8-6 victory. The first-year pair of Julia Cancio ’18 and Juli Raventos ’18 was the only team to play two doubles matches, but they were more than up to the task, winning their first match 8-5 before dominating their second opponents 8-0. McDonnell Nieto del Rio and Hannah Atkinson ’17 won their match 8-1. Atkinson then paired with Alex Stone ’16 to defeat a duo from Case Western Reserve 8-4. McDonnell Nieto del Rio paired with Annika Trapness ’17 in her second doubles match of the day, and they won their match 8-5.

“For every player on the team, it was some of the toughest competition this season so far, and it was clear we loved every minute of the battle,” tri-captain Monica Pastor ’15 said. “We came out on top because we wanted to take full advantage of this rare opportunity.”

The women’s next contest is away against NESCAC rival Amherst on Saturday at 1 p.m.

“It was a very good experience for us to play an out of region team and a Div. I program,” Head Coach Alison Swain ’01 said.