Women’s golf places first at Williams Invite

Women’s golf placed first this weekend at its home Williams Fall Invitational. The team shot 315 on Saturday, edging out NYU by three strokes to take first place for Day One of the tournament. On Day Two, the women brought their cumulative score to 624, placing in first by 17 strokes over Ithaca, which came in second.

On Saturday, it rained all day with intermittent downpour, which made the greens and fairways very slippery and wet, while also causing thicker rough. The course took longer than usual because of the awful conditions. Brutal winds were also a factor, impeding visibility and skewing shots. Despite this, the Ephs played a skillful game. Co-captain Shelby Shote ’15 led the tournament after Day One, finishing the round with a 73. Sarah Hasselman ’17 also broke 80, coming in with a score of 79 for the round. Co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 fought through the second half of the course to finish with an 81. Tracey Kim ’17 and Elizabeth Gudas ’18 rounded out the ‘A’ team scorecard by shooting 82 and 83, respectively. The ‘B’ team shot a 348, placing seventh for the day. With a day of tough weather, the Ephs showed dedication and a superior knowledge of their home course to finish with the lead in first.

Sunday brought better conditions, brisk cold temperatures but no rain or excessive winds. The team shot a 309, increasing its lead significantly to clinch the tournament victory. Shote won the tournament overall, shooting a 75 for her round on Sunday and a 148 overall. Sharon Li and Kimberly Wong of Ithaca came in second and third. Gudas matched Shote’s score for Day Two with a 75, and Hasselman remained consistent from Saturday, finishing with a 79 for the day. Gudas and Hasselman tied for fifth place overall with two-day totals of 158. Kim and Sawin finished up with rounds of 80 and 81, respectively. For the B team, Paige Whidbee ’15 shot the lowest score of the day, a 74, and Phoebe Mattana ’18 finished with a 77 in spite of a slightly injured leg. Whidbee finished in seventh place individually over the two days with a score of 159. Kelly Kung ’16 and Madeline Abrahams ’18 rounded out the team with scores of 82 and 87 respectively, bringing the ‘B’ team to a fourth-place finish overall.

“The win at home this past weekend was great for us,” Shote said. “Following up our 315 in the rain with a 309 is really what we are looking for.”

The women are determined to close out their fall season on a high note with the Wellesley Invitational this upcoming weekend.