Women’s crew begins fall season on high note

Women’s crew had a strong opening race this weekend at the Head of the Genesee in Rochester, N.Y. where the varsity squad established a high benchmark for its fall season. The race combined a 5k head race with a 1500-meter sprint race, an atypical format for the fall, but both the 1V and 2V crews handled it well.

The 1V, composed of co-captain Christine Cunningham ’15, Andrea Dunchus ’15, Stephanie Neul ’15, co-captain Piper Sallquist ’15, Katie Westervelt ’16, Rebecca Dunwoody ’17, Gemma Holt ’17, Bertie Miller ’18 and coxswain Joowon Choi ’15,  had a solid performance in the head race, winning the race with a time of 17:44.32, 14 seconds ahead of the second place boat. They also won their sprint race in the afternoon, beating Mercyhurst by five seconds and finishing with the fastest time of 5:00.91.

The 2V also had a strong performance with the fastest combined time of all the 2V boats in the race. They were the second fastest 2V in the head race with a time of 18.58.30, but their sprint in the afternoon pushed them into first place ahead of William Smith. The 2V finished the sprint with a time of 5:16.45. The 2V is made up of Katie Cavanaugh ’16, Katherine Shamsie ’16, Molly Burroughs ’17, Paloma Dominguez ’17, Emory Strawn ’17, Katie Swoap ’17, Clara Beery ’18, Aisling O’Sullivan ’18 and coxswain Allison Wu ’16.

“Both the 1V and 2V boats had mature and promising performances at the Head of the Genesee,” Sallquist said. “We can’t wait to continue to apply our training and enthusiasm to our next two races this season.”

Both boats are eager to continue gaining speed in the two weeks before the Head of the Charles on Oct. 19 in Boston, Mass. Next weekend, the Head of the Housatonic in Oxford, Conn. will mark the first opportunity for the first-year novice team to race. With three boats scheduled to compete for the women, the Housatonic will be an exciting chance for the novices to test what they’ve learned in the first month of rowing.