Men’s crew battles to 3rd at Head of the Genesee

The men’s 1V rowed a dominant 1500-meter at the Head of the Genesee last weekend.

Last Saturday, men’s crew returned to the Head of the Genesee after a seven-year absence from the race. The conditions were variable throughout the day with swirling winds and mist in the morning and a ripping tailwind but bright sunshine in the afternoon.

The Head of the Genesee is a unique event with the winner being determined based on the weighted times of a morning 4.8k head race and an afternoon 1500-meter dual. The afternoon pairings are determined based on the morning finishes to create the most exciting matchups.

The Ephs took three varsity boats up to Rochester, N.Y. to compete. The 1V boat was entered in the open eight event along with Div. I Syracuse A and B, Hobart A and B and Mercyhurst A. The men had a solid race, finishing in third behind Syracuse A and Hobart A; however, the Ephs felt that they could have had a closer raw time gap. The boat did some internal switches to try up a new lineup for the afternoon, which resulted in a dominant 1500-meter piece. The Ephs rowed over two seconds faster than the Hobart A boat, which helped to close the cumulative time gap by six seconds. However, this was not enough to close the gap from the morning, and the Ephs finished in third place.

The 2V and 3V boats were in the collegiate eight event, which immediately followed the open eight event making times comparable. The 2V had a strong piece starting from the middle of the pack to chase their way to second place, finishing just behind ECAC rival Ithaca. The margin was only three seconds, which was encouraging for the men, given that it was Williams’ 2V against the Ithaca 1V. The boat put on a good show for the afternoon sprint by beating out the Ithaca boat by 0.7 seconds. When the cumulative time was added, the Ephs fell short by just two seconds for a second place finish.

The 3V boat had a calm and composed morning piece which resulted in a good time that put them in the middle of the pack. The afternoon piece did not go as well, as the challenging conditions proved difficult for the young crew. Overall, they maintained their place in the field as many other crews struggled with the conditions.

“With the 1V placing well against Div. I squads and the 2V racing on par with other Divl III 1V boats, we are definitely headed in the right direction,” co-captain Peter Awad ’15 said.

The crew has the next weekend off from racing, but the week will be filled with hard work hammering out the fastest boats for the Charles, which takes place on Oct. 19.