Ephs extend winning streak to 10

Ryan Farley ’16 collected 46 assists for the women against Middlebury last Saturday.

Volleyball (14-1, 5-0 in the NESCAC) continued its winning streak last week, defeating Middlebury and Potsdam State on Saturday, Hamilton on Friday and Union on Sept. 30.

Last Saturday, the women faced off against conference foe Middlebury in an important NESCAC match. The Panthers took the lead in the beginning of the first set, but the Ephs battled back to win the set 25-17. The women led most of the second set until Middlebury tied the score at 24-24. Middlebury won the next two points to take the second set 26-24. Williams dominated both the third and fourth sets, starting off the third with a huge 15-1 lead. The Ephs allowed the Panthers to amass only ten points and won the set 25-10. The Ephs then quickly took the fourth set 25-12, clinching the match 3-1. Tori Jasuta ’17 led the Ephs in kills and digs, with 19 and 17, respectively. Ryan Farley ’16 had an impressive 46 assists.

Williams defeated Potsdam State later that same day, with twelve women crucially contributing to the win. Williams won the first set 25-19, the second 25-17, and the third 25-14 to easily take the match 3-0.

Last Friday, the women faced NESCAC opponent Hamilton. Although the Continentals led most of the first set, the Ephs narrowly took the set 25-23. In the second set, Hamilton jumped out to a 16-5 lead and ultimately won the set 25-22. The third set remained close early on until Williams gained an 18-13 lead. The Ephs held onto their lead to win the third set 25-19. The fourth set once again started off with the Ephs and Continentals going point for point until the Ephs gained and maintained a lead to win the set 25-19, and take the match. Jasuta had a team-high 16 kills and 12 digs.

On Sept. 30, Williams played at Union in Schenectady, N.Y. The women dropped the first set to Union 25-19. However, the Ephs bounced back to take the next set 25-17. The third set was a close battle between the Ephs and the Dutchwomen, but the Ephs managed to steal the set 25-22. Williams handily took the fourth set 25-13, snagging a 3-1 match victory. Katherine Lane ’16 led the team with 13 kills, Amanda Schott ’15 had 14 digs and Caitie Benell ’17 handily contributed with 13 digs as well.

“We’re now officially midway through the NESCAC season, and everyone is extremely proud of the work we’ve put in so far to put us in first place in the conference,” captain Claire Miller ’15 said. “This upcoming weekend we have a chance to both keep our first place lead in the NESCAC and also play against some great competition with games against Bates and Springfield.”

Results from the women’s match against New Paltz State came in too late to report.  The women will travel to take on Bates on Friday at 8 p.m. and are also on the road against Springfield on Saturday at 3 p.m.