College to dedicate Weston Athletic Complex Oct. 11

After over a year of construction, on Oct. 11, the College will host a ceremony to officially dedicate the new Weston Athletic Complex. The new $22 million facility includes Lee Track, Williamson Field and Farley-Lamb Field and is home to the varsity field hockey, football, men’s and women’s lacrosse and men’s and women’s track and field teams.

“The quality of the fields and track are another dimension that our teams will appreciate,” Bud Fisher, interim director of athletics, said. “This is a new experience for our teams.”

The celebration will start at 10:30 a.m. with a discussion titled, “Window on Athletics: Panel Discussion with Coaches, Athletes, Alumni, Admissions & More” in Brooks-Rogers. Next, men’s and women’s soccer face off against Wesleyan on Cold Field at 12 p.m. At the same time, the College is also offering a campus wide lunch on Weston Field.

At 1 p.m., the official cere-mony will begin, starting with the dedication of Williamson Field and Lee Track. The field hockey team will then play Wesleyan at 1:30 p.m.

The Lee Track was named after Beth and James B. Lee, both class of 1975, and their children Lexi ’04, Jamie ’06, and Izzy ’12. The Williamson Field, the new field hockey field, was named after Sarah Keohane Williamson ’84. Both parties were generous contributors to the Weston Complex.

The Farley-Lamb Field, the new football and lacrosse field, will be dedicated later in the day during halftime of the football game. During the halftime ceremony the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup – an award given every year by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics to the colleges and universities in the United States with the most successful collegiate athletic program – will be presented to the College.

The Farley-Lamb field is named in honor of two Williams coaches. Before retiring last spring, Dick Farley coached football and track and field for 35 years. Farley has the best coaching record in all of the College’s history, including five perfect seasons. Renzie Lamb was the head coach of the men’s lacrosse team from 1968 to 2003, assistant football coach for 30 years and head coach of the Williams squash team.

The two former coaches will be at the dedication and the post-game reception.

In addition to the fields and the track, the Weston Athletic complex includes a new grandstand for 1400 fans, a concession stand, restrooms and lighting for the new turf fields.

According to Lisa Melendy, director of athletics, who was quoted in a communications press release, the complex is meant to reflect Williams’ standard of excellence in Div. III athletics but also the College’s commitment to the environment with a green design.

“The complex in its individual parts is what we expected but it is hard to imagine what the whole of the complex will feel like until it has been completed. The openness and homey feel of the entire project with its magnificent vistas is quite breathtaking,” Fisher said.

In addition to the sporting events and dedications, on Saturday, the College is also hosting a number of events for alumni coming back for the “The Greylocks” fall mini-reunions for post-50th reunion classes.

According to Angela Schaeffer, director of communications, the dedication is likely to bring many people back to campus. “I’m hopeful we’ll have a great turnout of students and other campus community members, as well as returning alumni and local residents,” Schaeffer said.