CC votes on Annual Budget

College Council (CC) approved allocations of funding for student groups at its first meeting on Oct. 7.

CC funds club athletics, student activities, arts, music and performance groups, publications, service groups and spirituality groups using funds from the Student Activities Tax. CC’s Financial Committee reviewed the budget requests of student groups and cut the total funding requested from $473,022.22 to $257,607.04.

“Groups are eligible for the subgroup process if they’ve been around for two years, and through this they can get their annual budgets passed,” CC co-president Emily Dziectiatko ’15 said. “The advantage to this is that we have about $428,000 this year to distribute to all the different student groups on campus, and the earlier they come, the likelier it is that they’ll get their budgets passed, because we still have the full budget. If a group comes to the last meeting of the year, we probably have around $10,000 left, so they’re less likely to get it.”

CC approved $116,117.30 out of the $178,397.11, down from $145,012.11 it approved last year. Sailing, women’s rugby and men’s and women’s ultimate Frisbee received the most funding with budgets over $10,000. The largest cut the Financial Committee made was to the cycling team, whose budget was cut by over $7000.

Student activities groups received $23,853.46 of the $72,309.30 they requested from CC. Williams College Law Society and the Williams College Debating Union received the most funding with budgets over $5,000, which they use to register for and travel to tournaments. The largest cut the Financial Committee made was to the Debating Union, which requested $23,131.34.

CC approved $58,176.89 of the $108,402.16 requested by arts groups. Most of the arts budget went to All Campus Entertainment, which requested $93,534 and received $51,292. ACE received only $16,716 for its initial budget last year and needed to return to CC for funding throughout the year. CC hopes that granting ACE a large initial budget, as it did in previous years, will give the group a better sense of how much it can spend.

Music groups received $16,361.64 of the $25,860.95 they requested from CC. The Gospel Choir’s $5,390 was the largest budget and the largest cut was made to the Octet’s budget, which the Financial Committee reduced by over $2,000.

CC approved $20,648.94 of the $24,914.92 requested by student publications. CC allocated most of this funding to the Williams Outing Club, which requested and received a budget of $17,145.

Service groups received $9,955.10 of the $14,897.05 they requested from CC. LCE and the Purple Bike Coalition have the largest budgets at over $3,000.  The Financial Committee made the largest cuts to Lehman Community Engagment’s budget, which it reduced by over $3,000.

CC approved $12,493.71 of the $48,240.73 requested by spirituality and activism groups.  Williams Catholic had received the most funding with a budget of $6,000. Williams for Life had its budget cut the most, as it was reduced by over $5,000.

At its next meeting, tonight, CC will discuss why cereal is no longer available at snack bar with members of the Dining Services Committee and review the vandalism of an “I Am Williams” poster that was discovered on Oct. 1.

“This sort of hate crime should matter to every single person here, because it’s such a small community, we all know each other,” CC co-president Erica Moszkowski ’15 said.