Women’s XC strides to 4th at Purple Valley Classic

Lacey Serletti ’16 placed fifth overall at the Purple Valley Classic.

Last Saturday, women’s cross country competed in its first home meet at Mount Greylock Regional High School in the Purple Valley Classic. Despite hot temperatures, the women put forth a strong effort and had several impressive performances.

The day began with the co-ed JV 5k race, in which the first-year women took the first five places individually, earning a perfect score and first place overall. Anna Harleen ’18 led the pack, finishing in first place with a time of 19:17.5 on the difficult home course. Next were Emily Sundquist ’18, who finished in 19:24.8, and Rebecca Delacruz-Gunderson in 19:32.3. Closing out the lead pack for the Ephs were Stella Worters ’18 with a time of 19:51.6, putting her in fourth place, and Elowyn Pfeiffer ’18 with a time of 20:34.3, good enough for fifth place. Tri-captain Anna Spiers ’15, who is returning from an injury, had a strong first race of the season, earning seventh place and running a time of 20:35.2. Eliza Matt ’18 finished not far behind in a time of 20:43.4, earning eighth place.

In the varsity 6k race, the women competed against 24 other teams, earning fourth place overall with 115 points after MIT in first with 36 points, Middlebury in second with 65 points and Tufts in third with 95 points. The first finisher for the women was Lacey Serletti ’16, who crossed the line in a time of 22:47.5 for a fifth place finish. Emma Zehner ’17 was next for the Ephs, taking 13th place with a time of 23:04.8. Talia Calnek-Sugin ’15 and Michelle Buncke ’17 finished 25th and 28th respectively, running times of 23:31.9 and 23:29.0. The last member of the scoring team was Eirann Cohen ’15, who finished 44th in a time of 24:04.5. Maggie Peard ’17 took 47th place in 24:08.0 and Hannah Cole finished soon after in 24:11.6, earning 48th place. Tri-captain Amelia Ortiz ’15 ran a time of 24:22.1 for 58th place.

“The freshman class was very impressive this weekend, and we look forward to seeing them progress even further and step up to help lead the pack more and more throughout the season,” Ortiz said. “On the whole, I was pleased with the way that everyone still gave it their best effort and stuck it out through the heat to post some solid performances.”

Next Saturday, a smaller group of the top women will compete at the Paul Short Invitational hosted by Lehigh University.