Women’s soccer trounces Conn. College

Audrey Thomas ’17 scored for the Ephs in their 3-0 victory over Conn. College last Saturday.

Last Saturday, women’s soccer (6-1, 3-1 in the NESCAC) faced off against NESCAC foe Conn. College in a heralded match that ended with the women on top 3-0. Another dynamic performance at the top of the Eph formation proved the difference in the Ephs’ NESCAC clash with the previously undefeated Camels. The formidable striking duo of Kristi Kirshe ’17 and Audrey Thomas ’17 combined for a flurry of three goals in the span of eight minutes at the beginning of the second half, as Kirshe’s fifth and sixth of the season and Thomas’ seventh allowed the Ephs to cruise comfortably to a 3-0 victory.

After a relatively even first half of play, the Ephs came out of the gates in the second firing on all cylinders. Kirshe opened the scoring in the 52nd minute, latching her head onto a ball sent into the box that Camel keeper Bryanna Montalvo had little chance of stopping before it bulged the back of the Camel net to give the Ephs a 1-0 lead.

That was the spark that the Eph attack needed, as just over six minutes later Thomas notched a goal of her own. Thomas pulled off another one of her chip finishes, as she received a ball inside the eighteen-yard box from Maddie Swarr ’17, and then lifted the ball over the on-rushing Montalvo to give the Ephs a two-goal advantage over the Camels.

The Camels’ misery would not end there, as it was compounded no more than two minutes later, when Kirshe bagged her second of the game and all but ended the affair in favor of the Ephs. Kirshe ran onto a long aerial through ball from Louisa Costa ’15 and had only the keeper to beat, which she managed to do easily by slotting home a simple finish past Montalvo.

The trio of goals against the Camels brings the Ephs’ total tally for the season to an impressive 20 goals in seven games.

“We came out really strong on Saturday against Conn. [College] and we wanted to make a statement and do the things we have worked on all season,” tri-captain Hannah Van Wetter ’15 said. “We finished our chances and battled for 90 minutes – something that we will continue to strive to do all season long.”

The women finish up their string of four away games today against Springfield at 7:30 p.m. kickoff time. Additionally, the women host New England College at noon on Sunday.