Women’s golf clinches Middlebury Invitational

Women’s golf dominated this weekend at the Middlebury Invitational/NECSAC Tournament, which took place at the Ralph Myhre Course at Middlebury. The weather throughout the weekend was perfect, setting the Ephs up for a big win on the course. The team finished up with a score of 307 on Saturday, gaining the lead in the tournament, at 20 strokes ahead of Middlebury and 27 strokes ahead of archrival Amherst. The Ephs struck a two-day total of 619 to finish in first with an impressive 41-stroke lead over Middlebury, who earned second place.

Sarah Hasselman ’17 played an amazing one-over-par game, finishing her round with a day one score of 72. Her teammate Tracey Kim ’17 followed suit with an impressive 75 as well. Notably, Ephs made up four of the top five players of the tournament. Elizabeth Gudas ’18 finished with a 78 in what was her first tournament at the collegiate level. Co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 scored a neat 77 for her round, placing fourth for the day.

The team wrapped up an impressive win at the 11-team event on Sunday, widening its overall lead by 21 more strokes for a definitive win. Sunday’s weather was also beautiful, with sunny skies and dry, warm temperatures. Hasselman followed up her performance on Saturday with a score of 78, winning the tournament overall for the second year in a row. Kim placed second, shooting 77 on Sunday’s round. Shooting the lowest score of the second day, Gudas finished with 75, placing third overall in the tournament. Phoebe Mattana ’18 and co-captain Shelby Shote ’15 shot 82 and 85 respectively, rounding out the team’s scores. A second day score of 81 brought Sawin to fifth place overall as an individual.

“We had a great weekend at Middlebury,” Sawin said. “I was proud of how everyone played and carried themselves.”

The team is looking forward to hosting the Williams Fall Invitational this weekend and continuing to have a successful season.