Men’s tennis falls short at USTA/ITA Regionals

Men’s tennis battled on the first day of the USTA/ITA Regional Championships last Friday as one singles player and four doubles pairs advanced to the second day of play. In doubles play, Williams’ top pair of Brian Grodecki ’18 and co-captain Alex Schidlovsky ’16 won their first round match 8-6. The other men’s pairs all also advanced as Jordan Sadowsky ’18 and Conrad Harron ’17 won their match 8-4, Sachin Raghavan ’18 and Brian Astrachan ’16 earned an 8-1 victory, and co-captain Jose Raventos ’16 and Rohan Shastri ’17 defeated their opponents 8-4.

In singles play, three Ephs advanced to the second round, but unfortunately only Shastri made it to the quarterfinals after winning his matches 6-2, 6-4 and 6-3, 6-3, respectively. Astrachan and Schidlovsky were both edged out in the second rounds. Seeded player Nik Telkedzhiev of Tufts 6-7(6) defeated Astrachan, 6-2, 6-1, while Schidlovsky dropped his match 6-1, 6-3 to sixthseeded Noah Farrell.

On Day Two, Shastri, the men’s lone remaining singles entrant, lost in the quarterfinals to Amherst’s Michael Solimano 7-5, 7-6 (5). In doubles play, the only Eph win of the day came via a default when Raghavan and Astrachan were the beneficiaries of a default by the Amherst duo of Zykoff and Yaraghi. On the court, the Wesleyan tandem of Roberts and Rudovsky narrowly defeated Raghavan and Astrachan by a score of 9-7. The Eph paring of Grodecki and Schidlovsky lost their match to Arguello and Cherkin of Brandeis, 8-5, while Harron and Sadowsky were beaten 8-3 by the tourney’s top seeded tandem of Planche and Ellis from Bates.

“Overall I thought the weekend was a disappointing one for the team,” Schidlovsky said. “We weren’t able to compete at the high level that we expected to but we look forward to the last few weeks of practice and a long offseason as we prepare for the spring season.”