Field hockey sneaks by Conn. College with 2-1 OT victory

Field hockey (5-2, 3-1 in the NESCAC) finished strong this past week with victories over Smith and Conn. College. The Ephs proved their mettle after winning both games on the road and continue to grow and improve their performance. The Ephs are right on track to accomplish their goals of hosting a tournament game and winning the NESCAC championship.

Saturday’s exciting 2-1 victory against NESCAC foe Conn. College in overtime was a huge win for the women. The Camels went ahead at the 36:20 mark and held their lead for 35 minutes before the Ephs tied the score. After 69:30 minutes of play, Annie VanWagenen ’16 struck a shot past the Camels’ goalkeeper with under a minute left in the game to tie it up. VanWagenen’s clutch play is what inspired the team as they entered into overtime.

Only two minutes into overtime, Rachel Brissette ’17 passed the ball to Kit Rosen ’17 who sent the ball into the goal and secured the victory for the Ephs. Goalie Margaret Draper ’17 also played tremendously, making big time saves, inspiring the team to just play their game. The Camels played the Ephs tough, disrupting their offense and never giving up. However, the Ephs adjusted and persisted with tenacity and confidence.

“The win over Conn. [College] demonstrated our great team spirit and ability to finish in key situations,” co-captain Caitlin Conlon ’15 said.

Williams bounced back on Sept. 23 after its devastating loss against Amherst on Sept. 20. Outshooting Smith 21 shots to six shots for the entirety of the game shows the dominance the women maintained. The Ephs took control of the game from the first whistle, as Conlon started the game aggressively with two goals right off the bat. The team’s constant pressure and energy led to Conlon’s first goal only 13:05 into the half. The momentum gained from her goal motivated Conlon to send another one away just 30 seconds later. This 2-0 lead early in the game gave Williams a great advantage. The women continued to play with intensity the remainder of the half, which led to another goal at 22:25 for the Ephs. A play between VanWagenen and Rosen gave Rosen the opportunity to also sail one into the net. Isabel Schlee ’17 also knocked a shot past the Smith goalkeeper at 30:01 to increase the lead to 4-0 at the end of the first half.

Smith entered the second half stronger than they had played in the first, which led to a quick goal off of a corner at 42:51. However, this did not affect the Ephs’ confidence or energy. They quickly bounced back and scored just 10 minutes later, due to the tenacity of Claire Swingle ’16. This caused a sense of urgency in the Smith team, which got another goal off a corner at the end of the game. However, the women’s ability to come out strong and increase the lead in the first half left Smith defeated, with Williams coming out on top 5-2.

The women’s next game will be played tonight at 6 p.m. as they host Springfield. The Ephs will finally get to enjoy a home game and try to continue their winning streak on the new Williamson Field in this competitive match up. This Tuesday, the women host Middlebury at 6 p.m.