Ephs suffer tough 38-0 blowout

Austin Lommen ’16 completed 15 of 28 passes for 85 yards against Trinity last Saturday.

Football (1-1) was shutout by Trinity with a score of 38-0 last Saturday at Farley-Lamb Field. The Bantams taught the Ephs a lesson on what it takes to be top in the NESCAC.

Captain Alex Scyocurka ’15 summed up the tough loss, “We got off on the wrong foot and everything started to snowball pretty fast. We’re ready for our next opportunity to prove that were a good ball club.”

The game’s result really boiled down to two issues. First, the Ephs could not stop the Bantams misdirection running attack. Second, on offense, the Ephs just did not play with enough consistency to sustain a drive. The stats definitely backed this up as the Bantams rushed for whopping 321 yards on the ground. As for the Ephs, they did not gain 100 yards either passing or running.

In just two games we have seen both sides of this Williams squad. We have seen its exciting potential with the overwhelming shutout performance against Bowdoin, and we have seen its ceiling in this bad loss to Trinity.

Trinity scored with ease on their first two drives, only facing one third down. The Ephs, on the other hand, failed to get a single first down. Trinity’s misdirection offense, which included frequent wide receiver motion and occasional play action, kept the men guessing all day. Reigning NESCAC Offensive Player of the Week Chudi Iregbulem owned the first quarter, scoring both of Trinity’s touchdowns and amassing nearly 100 yards.

The game seemed like it might be turning when on the Bantams’ third drive Iregbulem was stopped in his tracks at the goal line by hard-hitting safety-turned-linebacker Andre Lafontant ’15. This hit saved a touchdown and led to a short field goal. Harnessing the momentum of this hit, the Eph offense showed some life moving into Bantam territory for the first time. However, after failing to convert a fourth down and five, the Ephs turned the ball over on downs, leaving the score at 17-0.

Trinity proceeded to score quickly on another Iregbulem touchdown, extending the lead to 24-0.Williams had one more solid drive, but Trinity put out the offensive spark with a back-breaking interception. The score at halftime was 24-0 after the Bantams averaged a stellar 6.5 yards per play.

The second half looked eerily similar to the first half as Iregbulem ended a brief five-play, 53-yard drive with a 13-yard TD run, to make the score 31-0. The Ephs finally forced a Bantam punt on the next drive and even looked like they might score before failing on another fourth down. The score was 31-0 at the end of the third quarter and the game was essentially over at this point. Both teams turned to their backups and rarely aired the ball out for the entire fourth quarter. Trinity added one more touchdown to end the rout at 38-0.

The Eph’s seemed to take the loss as well as they could. “Trinity was a good team and we played below our expectations,” Captain Alan Felix ’15 said. “That’s never a good combo. We have to get back to work, and Bates is the perfect game to get us back on track.” Captain Tom Cabarle ’15 added, “I am looking forward to the team bouncing back and gaining momentum as we progress through the season.”

Williams still holds the career record against Trinity at 36-35-2. This is the closest series the Ephs have in the NESCAC. Look for the men to bounce back with a vengeance next week after suffering what they would describe as an embarrassing defeat. Williams will travel to Lewiston, Maine to tackle Bates on Saturday at 1 p.m.