Athletes of the week: Linda Shin ’17 and Grant Raffel ’17

Linda Shin '17
Linda Shin ’17

Linda Shin ’17
Women’s tennis
Johns Creek, Ga.

“Linda has done a tremendous job stepping into a new leadership role already this fall. Her impressive play this weekend is a testament to her work ethic, her passion for the game and her skill. She truly earned the title at ITAs and we are all very proud of her.”  – Head Coach Alison Swain ’01

Shin took home the USTA/ITA Regional Championship Singles Title last weekend, defeating teammate Juli Raventos ’18 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) in a thrilling all-Eph championship bout. Coming into the tournament as the No. 3 seed in the region, Shin dropped only four games in three matches, cruising to the semifinals before she faced another teammate in Maria Pylypiv ’15. In the semifinal match, Shin defeated Pylypiv in a competitive straight set bout 6-4, 6-2 before getting the better of Raventos.

Grant Raffel '17
Grant Raffel ’17

Grant Raffel ’17
Men’s golf
Palo Alto, Calif.

“Grant is wise beyond his years and is very well thought out compared to other college golfers. He knows what he wants to do, how he wants to go about it and then prepares correctly for it. I believe Grant is the best player in the NESCAC.” – Head Coach Josh Hillman

Raffel was named NESCAC Player of the Year after earning medalist honors at the NESCAC Fall Qualifier last weekend. After carding a three-over 75 on Day One, three strokes behind the leader, Raffel bounced on Day Two to fire a tournament-low round of 70 to clinch the individual title and lead the men to a third place finish. Raffel also found himself near the top of the leaderboard in the previous two tournaments of the season, before clinching top honors this weekend.