Women’s soccer falls to archrival Amherst

Women’s soccer (5-1-0, 2-1-0 in the NESCAC) split this weekend, shutting out Castleton 4-0 on Sunday after a loss to archrival Amherst on Saturday.

The Ephs played the Spartans in a lopsided matchup on Sunday afternoon, allowing no goals and netting the ball four times.

The women dominated the game, taking 28 shots on goal and allowing only five. Audrey Thomas ’17 started off the Ephs’ offense with her sixth goal of the year, scoring just 19 minutes into the first half off a pass from Alison Magruder ’15. In the second half, Katie Wardlaw ’17 put the goal past the Spartans’ keeper off a cross from Evan Gancedo ’18, extending the Ephs’ lead.

In the 88th minute of play, two first-years fired off shots merely 27 seconds apart. Hanna Kaeser ’18 fired the ball past the Spartan goal on a solo drive, marking her second goal in her Eph career. Kaeser was quickly followed by a goal from Natasha Albaneze ’18 off a cross from Natalie Weyerhauser ’15.

On Saturday, the Ephs lost for the first time this season to the Lord Jeffs (5-1, NESCAC 2-1). The Ephs started slow, taking almost 15 minutes of the first half to get going. The Lord Jeffs took advantage of the Ephs’ slow start to score just three minutes into the first half.

However, as time continued, the Ephs looked as if they might even the score. In the 25th minute, Hana Tomozawa ’15 had an opportunity to score off a cross from Kristi Kirshe ’17, but she missed, ending wide of the left post. Just a few minutes later, the Jeffs scored another goal, bringing the score to 2-0. The Ephs had an opportunity to answer back, with a pass from Danielle Sim ’17 to Kaeser. But, Kaeser’s shot went over the bar.

The Ephs came out strong in the second half, with Kirsche almost scoring for the Ephs less than three minutes into the second half. Towards an hour into play, the Ephs had another chance to score. After a pass from Thomas, Kirshe crossed the ball to Mai Mitsuyama ’16 from the top of the box, but Mitsuyama was unable to get a touch on the ball to score for the Ephs. The Ephs’ last chance came with less than 10 minutes left to play, again involving Mitsuyama, Kirshe and Thomas. Mitsuyama centered a ball to Kirshe, who gave Thomas a leading pass. However, the Jeffs’ keeper, who knocked the ball away, stopped Thomas’s shot. The Jeffs kept the Ephs scoreless for the remaining time.

“We were disappointed by [Saturday’s] result, but our goal of this season is to keep getting better and we did that against Castleton,” tri-captain Hannah Van Wetter ’15 said. “We’re proud of the way we battled and it feels good to keep moving forward.”

The women are now ranked No. 21 in the nation according NSCAA Coaches Poll.

The Ephs will play again on Saturday at Conn. College against the Camels, who are 5-0-0.

• s

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahah!!!