Women’s golf sets school record

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Sarah Hasselman ’17 shot a 164 for the Ephs at the Mount Holyoke Invitational last weekend.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Sarah Hasselman ’17 shot a 164 for the Ephs at the Mount Holyoke Invitational last weekend.

Women’s golf took first place in the Mount Holyoke Invitational last weekend, finishing with a team score of 623. Ithaca College came in second place with a team score of 635, while Middlebury finished third with a score of 640. It was the first win of the season for the Ephs.

The Ephs faced tough conditions on Day One at the Orchards, the host course for the invitational. The strong winds forced the addition of a specially added rule, which allowed players to lift, clean and place their balls on the fairways. Due to the tough conditions, only five players had sub-80 rounds out of a field of 89 competitors.

Tracey Kim ’17 was one of those women, as she led the Ephs on Day One with a score of 79. This put her in fifth place individually at the end of the day. Paige Whidbee ’15, Phoebe Mattana ’18 and co-captain Shelby Shote ’15 all carded 81, putting them at a tie for ninth place overall. Sarah Hasselman ’17 shot an 86, putting her in 25th place. As an individual competitor, co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 finished the day with an 82. The women’s combined score of 322 put them in first place after Day One, with Middlebury two strokes behind.

Day Two brought light rains and heavy humidity, but the women persevered and shot 301 as a team, tying the lowest one-round score in program history. Kim carded a 73 on Day Two, bringing her two-day total to 152 and earning her second place individually, four strokes behind Jamie Gracie of Amherst. Shote also had a spectacular round, shooting a 72 and finishing in third place individually with a score of 153. Mattana and Hasselman both shot below 80 as well, each totaling 78. Mattana’s two-day total of 159 earned her eighth place, while Hassleman’s 164 put her in a tie for 20th. Whidbee struggled on Day Two, shooting an 83 and finishing in a tie for 20th place with a 164. Sawin finished the day with an 80 for a two-day total of 162.

“We are very happy about breaking the school one day record,” Shote said. “We motivated ourselves and it is really great to see that we can play really well, even if we don’t start off well.”

The women travel to Middlebury this weekend to participate in the Middlebury Invitational.

“There is still room for improvement,” Shote said. “I know we are definitely able to shoot under 300 as a team.”