Volleyball knocks off two conference foes

Volleyball (9-1, 2-0 in the NESCAC) had a huge weekend, knocking off two conference opponents in Wesleyan and Trinity, as well as non-conference foe Endicott. The women continued their season in dominant form, defeating all three opponents in straight sets.

Last Sunday, the women faced off against both Trinity and Endicott in Hartford, Conn. In their matchup against Endicott, Williams rode the wave of victory, convincingly handling the Gulls in a three-set match 25-12, 25-19, 26-24. Several players contributed crucial hits for the women, whose hitting percentage considerably better than Endicott’s, at .224 compared to .067. The Ephs collected 12 aces compared to a measly two from the Gulls. Tori Jasuta ’17 led the way for the women, tallying 10 kills and seven digs to lead the team. Raea Rasmussen ’15 collected three blocks and Catie Benell ’17 totaled five service aces.

Earlier that same day, the women took on NESCAC conference foe and home team Trinity. The Ephs easily defeated the Bantams 25-23, 25-21, 25-16. After forfeiting some early points in the first set, which turned out to be the closest set of the match, the Ephs took it to the Bantams, outhitting them with a .264 percentage compared to .167. Jasuta once again led the women, accumulating 18 kills over the match. Amanda Schott ’15 collected 22 digs and Rasmussen brought home two blocks for the Ephs.

On Saturday, Williams opened up its NESCAC play against Little Three rival Wesleyan. The Ephs dominated the Cardinals in a quick and easy three sets, winning 25-15, 25-20, 25-17. Rasmussen, Jasuta, Catherine Egan ’16, Katherine Lane ’16 and captain Claire Miller ’15 all contributed important kills for the Ephs in their first set victory. In the second, the women held a steady lead throughout, and clutch aces from Ryan Farley ’16 clinched the set for the Ephs. Carrying all the momentum, the Ephs easily took the third set from the Cardinals for the match victory. Rasmussen led all the women with 11 kills, Schott had nine digs and Farley led the way with six service aces. Williams outhit Wesleyan .298 to .122 and crushed them in the ace category 11 to two.

“We are thrilled to have started off 2-0 in the NESCAC,” Miller said. “This weekend we got a clear sense of the depth we have as a team and the advantages it will give us moving forward.”

With the victories, the women have received much more national attention after having finished the 2013 season ranked third in the New England region. The big weekend for the women allocated them 34 votes to the AVCA Coaches top 25 poll, and they are on the brink of once again being in the national spotlight.

The women will next face off against archrival Amherst at 7 p.m. on Friday. They also play at Union next Tuesday at 7 p.m.

“We are fired up to get ready for our game against Amherst on Friday,” Miller said.