Men’s tennis dominates in first match

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Rohan Shastri ’17 crushed his opponent 6-1, 6-1 earning a point for the Ephs on Sept. 17.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Rohan Shastri ’17 crushed his opponent 6-1, 6-1 earning a point for the Ephs on Sept. 17.

Men’s tennis (1-0) was in action for the first time this fall season on Sept. 17, defeating Vassar 8-1. It was the first time the men returned to the courts since last year’s defeat in the NCAA Div. III Regional Final to NESCAC foe Middlebury. The Ephs dominated the Brewers, sweeping all of the doubles matches and collecting five more victories in singles.

In doubles, the duo of Brian Grodecki ’18 and co-captain Alex Schidlovsky ’16 demolished their opponents in a quick and easy 8-2 match at No. 1. Sachin Raghavan ’18 and Brian Astrachan ’16 followed suit, ending their No. 2 match with an 8-6 victory. Jordan Sadowsky ’18 and Conrad Harron ’17 took care of business on the back end of the doubles matches, helping the Ephs achieve the sweep of doubles with an 8-2 pummeling of the Brewers.

After having swept the doubles matches, the Ephs momentum continued into singles play. Harron had a tough first set at No. 1, winning in a tiebreak, and dropped the second set 4-6. However, he fought and persevered for a 10-5 victory in the third set and clinched the match. At No. 2, Rohan Shastri ’17 continued the steamrolling with an efficient 6-1, 6-1 dissection of his opponent. Co-captain Jose Raventos ’16 blanked his Brewer foe with a convincing 6-0, 6-0 victory. Schidlovsky took down his adversary 6-2, 6-0, and Astrachan continued the winning ways for the Ephs with a 6-2, 6-1 match. The lone loss for Williams cam from Howie Weiss ’16, who lost to Juan Felipe Laso in a hard fought 7-5, 6-4 match.

The men, who were last ranked as the No. 10 tennis team in the nation by ITA, are looking to return to the Div. III NCAA National Championship, where they were crowned champions in 2013. The fall season gives the team, especially its valuable first-years, some time to develop and grow. In turn, the men are looking to recapture that champion spirit and return once again to atop the Div. III rankings.

“It was a great opening day,” Raventos said. “Our energy was good throughout the courts, and the first-years handled the pressure well and stepped it up in doubles. We are all looking forward to ITAs and making a huge impact this upcoming weekend.”

The men next return to the courts for the ITA Regional Championships on Sept. 26 to 28 at Middlebury.