Field hockey suffers first 2 losses of season

Caitlin Conlon ’15 fired three shots in games last week.

Field hockey (3-2-0, 2-1-0 in the NESCAC) faced some tough breaks this week with two losses against Mount Holyoke and archrival Amherst. Despite their relentless attitudes and desire to win, the Ephs were unable to get the ball in the net.

Amherst defeated Williams 2-0 and defend its winning streak on Saturday. The Ephs have not beaten the Jeffs since 2009 and unfortunately were not able to break that streak this past weekend. Only two minutes into the game, the Jeffs were able to sneak one past goalie Margaret Draper ’17. This interfered with the Ephs’ usual style of great teamwork and intensity, which was replaced with scrambled type play.  The Ephs could not pull themselves together and ended up being outshot eight to one in the first half of play.

Although the Ephs were not playing with their usual energy, they were able to deny the Jeffs any regular play goals. Both of Amherst’s goals were off well-executed corners. The second corner Amherst capitalized on came in the second half at 56:54. The Jeffs created more opportunities for themselves, which was evident by their dominance in the game. They had a total of eight corners throughout the game, while the Ephs only had three. Amherst also outshot Williams 14 to five; Williams did not play with their usual offensive intensity and never-ending hustle. Luckily for the Eph players, they will face the Jeffs again this season and have a chance of  breaking the six-year losing streak.

The women came ready to play in their game against Mount Holyoke last Wednesday evening. Right off the bat, Caitlin Conlon ’15 set the tone for the game, firing shots at the Mount Holyoke goal. Mount Holyoke responded with the same intensity, getting goalie Draper involved right from the beginning. The exchanging of possession continued for the rest of the half, although neither team capitalized on any opportunities. The women outshot Mount Holyoke nine to four in the first half, but both teams struggled with finishing the ball and maintaining possession.

The start of the second half started out as a scare for the Ephs. The Lyons created a fast break situation against defender Jaclyn Porfilio ’15. Porfilio made a huge defensive stop at the top of the circle, saving the Ephs. However, at 66:24 the Ephs let up a penalty stroke, which resulted in a goal for the Lyons right through Draper’s legs. The Ephs began to play with urgency and were able to create opportunities. The closest attempts at a goal were from Annie VanWagenen ’16 and Rachel Brissette ’17. Once again, the Ephs outshot the Lyons in the second half 11 to 10. It was a very evenly matched game between two competitive teams. The Ephs were just unable to finish any of their opportunities, but they didn’t stop fighting until the final whistle blew. Ultimately, Mount Holyoke emerged victorious by a score of 1-0.

“We faced two tough opponents and even though we didn’t come up with the wins, we learned what we need to work on in order to continue to improve,” Conlon said.

Yesterday, the women faced off against Smith, but results came in too late to report.