Women’s golf places well amidst Div. I foes

Last weekend, women’s golf competed in the Dartmouth Invitational. Due to inclement weather, including a lot of rain, a vast majority of the tournament was played with preferred lies. On Day One of the tournament, the Ephs fought to seventh place with 317 points and with another solid performance on Day Two, they secured a sixth-place finish. Boston University claimed first place.

On Day One, Phoebe Mattana ’18 led the women with an impressive score of 77. Tracey Kim ’17 followed closely behind with a score of 78. Co-captain Shelby Shote ’15, Sarah Hasselman ’17 and co-captain Caroline Sawin ’15 put up scores of 80, 82 and 87, respectively, to send the Ephs on to the second day of the Invitational with a score of 317, just 28 strokes out of first place.

Mattana once again led the team on Day Two of the Invitational, putting up an even stronger score of 75 for a two-day total of 152. The score put her in a three-way tie for ninth place. Hasselman and Sawin improved to scores of 80 on the second day for two-day totals of 162 and 167, respectively. Kim and Shote contributed scores of 81 to the team effort for two-day scores of 159 and 161, respectively. The impressive outing on Day Two put the Ephs at a total of 633, landing them a sixth-place finish. Impressively, he women competed as the sole Div. III competitors in a field of top Div. I women’s golf programs.

Paige Whidbee ’15 competed individually for the Ephs. She had a phenomenal outing on Day One, securing a score of 72 and putting her in a tie for second place. On Day Two she slipped a bit to a score of 78, giving her a two-day total of 150. However, this total was enough to place her in a tie for fourth individually.

“The team had a solid first weekend at Dartmouth. While we didn’t meet all of our team goals, I am confident that we will continue to improve through the fall,” Sawin said.

This weekend, the women travel to the Mount Holyoke Invitational where they hope to defend their title from last season.