Women’s cross country finishes 2nd at first meet

Women’s cross country competed at the RPI Invitational in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. last Saturday. Williams performed well in the first meet of the season, earning a second-place finish with 43 points, only two points behind St. Lawrence, which finished in first.

Finishing first in the 5k for the women was Emma Zehner ’17, who earned fourth overall with a time of 17:37. Next for the Ephs was Victoria Kingham ’18, running a 17:43 and placing sixth overall in her first collegiate race. Lacey Serletti ’16 came in seventh just behind Kingham with a time of 17:46. The other scorers for team were Anna Harleen ’18, who finished 12th in a time of 17:58, and Emily Sundquist ’18, who finished 14th in a time of 18:00.

Talia Calnek-Sugin ’15 also finished in the top 15, running a time of 18:04. Rebecca Delacruz-Gunderson ’18 and Stella Worters ’18 were close behind, finishing in 18:06 and 18:13, respectively.

“I thought our women had a strong first meet of the season in Saratoga this past weekend,” Assistant Coach Sarah Lagasse said. “We ran together as a team in tight packs which is a big part of why we were able to finish so well. Our first-years have been transitioning phenomenally well to collegiate racing. Five of our team’s top eight finishers are first-year student-athletes. It is exciting to have so much young talent coupled with strong upperclassmen leadership so early in the season.”

The women will next compete at their home course, Mt. Greylock Regional High School, for the Purple Valley Classic on Sept. 27.

“It was a great team effort and sets a good tone for the rest of the season,” tri-captain Anna Spiers ’15 said. “The top finishers got freshly baked pies that were still warm from the oven!”