Men’s golf swings for NCAA Championships

Jake Goldenring ’15 looks to lead a young squad to the NCAAs.

After losing to Middlebury by a single stroke in last spring’s NESCAC Championships, a defeat that cost the team a chance to compete in the Div. III NCAA Championships for a second straight year, men’s golf is ready to vindicate themselves this season.

Bouncing back, however, will be no easy task with the graduation of last year’s five co-captains, Dylan Dethier ’14, Jake Abrahams ’14, Cody Semmelrock ’14, Matt McCarron ’14 and Ross Bowen ’14, two of whom are trying their luck at playing the sport professionally after graduation.

Though a large portion of last year’s players have graduated, upperclassmen continue to dominate the team in number, led by co-captain Jake Goldenring ’15 and co-captain Nate McCue ’15. Other players returning to the course include Jon Dely ’15, Max Elgart ’16, Andy Leary ’16, Tony Liu’16, Greg Stone ’16, Michael Stone ’16 and Frank Worthington ’16.

The sophomore class is also a big source of talent. Grant Raffel ’17, who received Ping All-Northeast Region along with Goldenring, and Ross Hoffman ’17, who won the Williams Fall Invitational last year, are returning, as are their classmates Jacob Watt-Morse ’17, Greg Steinhelper ’17 and Evan Wahl ’17.

Rounding out the team are Jackson Moss ’18 and Jack Coyne ’18, both of whom played in the esteemed American Junior Golf Association and are looking to contribute immediately.

“We definitely have a young team this season but we certainly are showing a lot of potential,” Goldenring said. “We graduated five solid players last year but the last time we graduated a majority of our lineup in 2012, we won a ton of tournaments the next fall. We just have to keep positive attitudes and let the results happen. The talent is there and we are all rearing to go for our first tournament of the year.”

The men will continue to compete in intersquad qualifying this week in preparation for their first tournament, the Duke Nelson Invitational, on Saturday and Sunday at Middlebury.