Men’s cross country ready to sprint to victory

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Colin Cotton ’17 earned All-American honors in 2013.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Colin Cotton ’17 earned All-American honors in 2013.

After a fifth-place finish at last year’s NCAA Div. III National Championship – as well as first place finishes at the NESCAC Championship, the ECAC Championship and the NCAA Div. III New England Regional Championship – men’s cross country is looking to build on last year’s successes to better its performance in the coming season.

The team will greatly miss its graduated seniors, including last year’s captains Peter Drews ’14, Max LaBerge ’14 and Chris Lee ’14. Lee and Drews both competed in last year’s National Championship, with LaBerge competing in both the NESCAC Championship and NCAA Div. III New England Regional.

Although the team lost several members, it also has a strong group of returning athletes. Tri-captains Andrew Beaudoin ’15, Aldis Inde ’15 and Daniel Siegel ’15 will lead the team along with their other senior teammates. Colin Cotton ’17, who earned All-American honors at last year’s National Championship, will also be returning to the team this season. Cole Townsend ’15, Bijan Mazaheri ’16 and Todd Ford ’16 were also members of last year’s National squad and will be key members of this year’s team.

In addition to its returning members, the team welcomes a strong class of first years, including Liam Simpson ’18 of Cape Elizabeth, Maine, Ben Decker ’18 of Yarmouth, Maine, Alex Kilman ’18 of San Diego, Calif. and Griffin Colaizzi ’18 of Alexandria, Va.

The team will look to defend its NCAA Div. III Regional, NESCAC and ECAC wins and continue on to capture its 27th consecutive Little Three Championship and ultimately compete at the NCAA Div. III National Championship.

“I think everyone is really excited. A lot of the guys have put in really solid work this summer and we already seeing it pay off in the early practices,” Inde said. “I think we are ready for a great season and are looking to mix it up with the best teams in the NESCAC and the rest of the nation later in the season.”

The team competes in its first scored meet this Saturday at the RPI Invite in Saratoga Springs, NY.

“This team has been focused on our autumn season since the final stride of last year’s NCAA meet,” Head Coach Pete Farwell ’73 said. “They have dedicated themselves, from top to bottom, and including the incoming first years, to upping their training over the summer, and they certainly backed up that goal with millions of steps accumulated in many thousands of miles. We expect to vie for conference and regional titles, and perform at our very best in the finale at the national level. For these guys the sky is the limit.”