Ephs ready for 2014 campaign

Tracey Kim ’17 was named to the 10-player All-East team in 2013 as a first year.

After its incredible third-place finish in last season’s NCAA Div. III National Championships, the highest in the team’s history, women’s golf is ready to take on another season.

With the departure of former head coach Erika DeSanty, who led women’s golf to five consecutive NCAA tournament appearances during her five years at Williams, Bill Kangas will be the interim head coach for the 2014-15 season.

“I am very excited [about] the opportunity to coach a team of motivated student-athletes, who are team-first orientated and have the desire to push their abilities for the betterment of our team,” Kangas said. “Serving as the women’s golf assistant over the past five years has helped me understand the positive dynamics of our program … Our team understands and can balance competition and team camaraderie while having fun together.”

The Ephs will miss last year’s co-captains Georgiana Salant ’14 and Emily Wickstrom ’14, who both graduated this past June. Salant in particular was an asset to the team, winning the individual national NCAA Div. III National Championship with a four-round total of 303 and earning a First Team All-American honor.

Co-captains Caroline Sawin ’15 and Shelby Shote ’15 will lead the team this year, with Paige Whidbee ’15 and Kelly Kung ’16 rounding out the upperclassmen portion of the team. The sophomore members of the team, Sarah Hasselman ’17 and Tracey Kim ’17, were strong players last season, with both named to the 10-player All-East team.

Three first-years, Madeline Abrahams ’18, Elizabeth Gudas ’18 and Phoebe Mattana ’18 round out the nine-member team.

“After finishing third at the 2014 NCAA [Div. III National] Championships, a Williams best finish, and graduating the National Champion, Salant, we are looking forward to building on the success and the experience of the championship,” Kangas said. “Our leadership is very strong and every player understands their role in our very positive team culture.”

The women will compete in their first tournament, the Dartmouth Invitational, on Saturday.