Women’s track sprints toward qualifying times

Last weekend, women’s track and field placed 12th at the NEICAAA Championships against competition from all three NCAA divisions. The women were the second highest scoring Div. III team with 27 points behind MIT in 10th with 30 points.

Co-captain Jenna Adams ’14 had a strong performance in the pole vault, clearing a height of 3.70 meters to place second overall and first among Div. III jumpers.

On the track, co-captain Annie Lynch ’14 ran an incredible 200 meter, finishing in a time of 24.14, both a personal best and a new school record. She is now ranked third in NCAA Div. III.

Kaleigh Kenny ’14 also ran an outstanding race in the 5k, winning the event in a time of 16:55.19, which is currently the 18th-ranked time in Div. III. Shayna Barbash ’14 ran in the 5k as well, running a time of 17:23.45. Emma Zehner ’17 also competed in the event, finishing in 17:43.84 and beating her previous personal best 5k time by 12 seconds.

Hannah Cole ’17 and Lacey Serletti ’16 both competed in the 3k steeplechase. Cole placed sixth in 10:59.22, and Serletti finished 11th in time of 11:08.29 for a new personal record.

The women competed in two relays as well. The team of Lynch, Jessica O’Brien ’16, Grace Weatherall ’16 and co-captain Amanda Murashige ’14 ran a season best time of 47.95 in the 4×100, ranking them 16th in Div. III. The 4×400 team of O’Brien, Murashige, Lunch and Dianna Mejia ’15 also ran a season best time, placing fourth in 3:50.88 and ranking 10th in Div. III.

“This was a strong meet with some great efforts,” Head Coach Nate Hoey said. “The team refocused well and exectued their race plans and technical models well.”

Next Thursday and Friday, the women will compete at the ECAC Championships at RPI for a final chance to earn qualifying times for the NCAA Championships, which will take place May 22 through May 24 at Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware, Ohio.

At the completion of their season, the women will graduate Murashige, Adam, Lynch, Kenny, Barbash, Louisa Lee ’14, Brianne Mirecki ’14, Shanali Weersinghe ’14 and co-captain Amina Avril ’14.