Women’s crew notches NCAA bid

The women’s 1V earned a silver medal at the ECAC Championships last Sunday at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass.

Last weekend, women’s crew competed at Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester, Mass., in the ECAC Championships, falling just short of capturing the women’s team award. However, with combined point totals, the team captured the men’s and women’s combined point trophy, defeating last year’s champion, Trinity. On the day, the women took a second-place finish, two third-place finishes and one fourth-place finish.

The 3V boat was the first boat to race on Sunday, placing second in their first heat ahead of NESCAC rival Wesleyan and behind fellow conference foe Trinity. In the final, the 3V held a significant lead over Wesleyan past the thousand-meter mark, but remained behind Trinity. The Ephs finished in third place with a time of 7:18.28.

Next was the Novice Eight, who came in third in their first heat behind Mount Holyoke and Wesleyan. Ultimately, the first-year boat finished in third in the Grand Final  with a time of 7:31.17, behind the same boats of Mount Holyoke and Wesleyan.

The 2V boat was next to hit the water, with much to prove after a medal-less performance at New England’s a week earlier. In their heat, the 2V finished in second, behind powerhouse Trinity. In the final, the 2V finished two seconds out of medaling, getting outraced by Wesleyan in the final meters, with a time of 7:20.73.

In the last race of the day, the 1V boat took to the water. After finishing in first in the morning heat, the 1V was edged out by Bates in the final 250 meters of the final, medaling with silver in a time of 6:54.99. Bates edged out the women by less than four seconds.

With the second place finish in the 1V race, the Ephs earned a bid to the NCAA Div. III Women’s Rowing Championships in Indianapolis, Ind. The women are the defending Div. III National Champions, having won eight-straight team titles. This marks the first year since 2005 that the women have not earned the NESCAC’s automatic bid that goes to the ECAC Champion.

“We will be spending the next few weeks tapping into unlocked speed and are looking forward to racing against many of the same crews we’ve competed with this season,” co-captain Tala Abujbara ’14 said.

At the end of the season, the women will graduate Abujbara, Anna Hopkins ’14, Kate Kiernan ’14, Julia May ’14, Iva Nikalou ’14 and co-captain Sarah Peters ’14. All of the seniors have contributed to the women’s eight-straight team National Championships.