Men’s track sprints to 9th at New England’s

Last weekend, men’s track competed at the Div. III New England Championships hosted by Springfield. With a relatively small squad competing, the men placed ninth out of 32 teams, earning 30 points to tie with NESCAC rival Tufts. MIT took home first place. “It was a good meet for us. I thought we responded well emotionally after competing at the NESCAC meet last weekend,” Head Coach David Thompson said. The top eight finishers in each event scored and earned All-Region honors. Several Ephs earned qualifying marks and posted personal record times.

A major highlight of the day for the Ephs was the electrifying victory of co-captain Chris Lee ’14 in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Lee executed his race plan beautifully to earn a personal record time of 9:06.48. His performance in this race placed him in the top ten nationally for Div. III. Peter Hale ’17 also impressed in the steeplechase with a time of 9:43.18 for 13th place.

Three men earned points for the team in the 800 meter. Steven Yannacone ’17 placed sixth overall with a time of 1:54.09. Fellow Ephs Todd Ford ’16 and co-captain Nick Wolf ’14 were close behind, with times of 1:54.36 and 1:54.60, respectively. Ford’s time was a personal record, and all three men earned All-New England honors. Sam Burrington ’17 also posted a personal record time of 1:55.98 in the 800 meter. In the 1500 meter, Cole Townsend ’15 achieved a personal record of 3:58.94, good for 14th.

Williams showcased its depth by excelling in all three relay events for the second straight week. The 4×100 team of co-captain Jared Nowell ’15, co-captain Manny Daring ’15, Kevin Persons ’16 and Alex Deaderick ’15 placed fifth overall with a time of 42.86. The 4×400 consisting of Eric Schneider ’15, Daring, Persons and Wolf posted a season best time of 3:20.76, placing fourth. The 4×800 team of Matt Tarduno ’16, Kyle Kistinger ’16, Burrington and Yannacone placed fifth with a time of 7:50.69.

Despite not scoring, several sprinters also posted personal records. In the 400-meter hurdles, Izzy Davila ’16 continued his streak of great races with his fourth consecutive personal record of 57.04. In the 400 meter, Keith Owiti ’17 went sub-51 seconds for the first time with a time of 50.93. Deaderick excelled in the 100 meter with a time of 11.26 seconds.

“I thought we finished well as a team, considering we didn’t enter any men in the 5k and 10k, which are two of our stronger races,” Thompson said. “[It’s] very difficult to run 5k and 10k races on back-to-back weekends.”

This weekend the men who qualified will be running at the All-New England Championships competing against Div. I and II athletes. This will be the last chance for the few runners looking to qualify for the NCAA Div. III Championships, which will be hosted by Ohio Wesleyan.