Athletes of the Week: Rebecca Curran ’15 and Jack Cloud ’17

Rebecca Curran '15
Rebecca Curran ’15

Rebecca Curran ’15
Women’s tennis
Rumford, R.I.

“Rebecca’s positive intensity on court in doubles play has helped lead our team to improved overall performances in doubles all year. She has tremendous belief in her competitive ability against any opponent, and that showed this weekend in her singles play in both the semifinals and finals.” – Head Coach Alison Swain ’01

In the semifinal contest against Bowdoin, Curran and partner Kara Shoemaker ’14 emerged victorious in an important match at No. 1 doubles by a score of 8-5. She then notched the clinching match for the women in singles play. Tied at one set apiece, she came from behind to win the third and decisive set 6-4, propelling the women into the NESCAC finals. In the finals, Curran and Shoemaker fell in doubles, but Curran showed resilience and was up 7-6, 4-0 in singles before play against the Jeffs was suspended.

Jack Cloud '17
Jack Cloud ’17

Jack Cloud ’17
Baseball
Wilmette, Ill.

“Jack is one of our hardest workers, and he truly loves the game. He is an outstanding hitter, and last weekend he was a hard out. His future is very bright as a first-year and he is a real pleasure to coach.” – Head Coach Bill Barrale

Cloud’s imposing presence at the plate was felt by all pitchers who faced him last week. In a grueling five-game stretch, he batted an astounding .450, going 9-20, knocked in seven RBIs and plated two runs of his own. Notably, Cloud contributed to important rally in Game One against Springfield on Saturday, lacing an RBI single to extend both the frame and the men’s lead. In addition, Cloud was a vital part of the comeback against Union on April 29, knocking in two runs with a single in the bottom of the seventh inning to help tie the game.