Women’s golf takes second at home

Emily Wickstrom ’14 fired a solid 80 on Day One of competition at the Northeast Elite Invitational at Taconic Golf Club.

After a strong first day at the Northeast Elite Invitational at Taconic Golf Club, women’s golf was narrowly outscored by Methodist, which shot 620, and finished in second overall with a score of 622. NESCAC foes Middlebury and Amherst finished in fourth and fifth place respectively.

Day One was particularly strong for the Ephs, who finished in first place for the day with a total team score of 310, one stroke ahead of national powerhouse Methodist. The Ephs were led by Tracey Kim ’17, who carded a very impressive score of 74 for the first day. Co-captain Georgiana Salant ’14, who was close on Kim’s tail, shot a 76 for the day. Sarah Hasselman ’17 and co-captain Emily Wickstrom ’14 each finished the day with 80, while Kelly Kung ’16 rounded out the Ephs’ roster with a Day One score of 83. In addition to these scores, the Ephs had three other golfers playing as individuals, whose scores did not impact the overall team score. Shelby Shote ’15 took the top spot for these individuals, shooting a 78 on day one. Caroline Sawin ’15 and Paige Whidbee ’15 also had strong first days, scoring 81 and 84 respectively.

On Day Two, Methodist came from behind to outscore the women by three strokes, shooting a 309 to the women’s 312, to win the tournament. Williams ended the weekend with a total team score of 622, just behind Methodist who finished with 620. Third place Ithaca was far behind, finishing the weekend with a total of 634. On Day Two, Kim once again led the Ephs, carding 74 for the second day in a row, which was enough to put her in second place overall with a total score of 148. Salant was also incredibly consistent for the weekend, shooting a 76 on day two to bring her total to 152 for the weekend. This was enough to earn her third place overall. Hasselman improved by three strokes on Day Two, finishing the day with 77. Her weekend score of 157 was enough to tie her for sixth place. Wickstrom struggled a bit on Day Two, finishing the day with 85 and a weekend total of 165. Kung also faltered slightly on Day Two, carding an 88 for the day and finishing the weekend with 171. Wickstrom and Kung finished the weekend in 15th and 23rd respectively.

On the individual side, Shote once again led the Ephs, shooting a 79 to end the weekend with 157. That was enough to tie her for sixth, but as an individual her score was not used to reach the Williams total score of 622. Sawin came next for the Ephs, shooting an 86 and finishing the weekend in 20th with a total of 167. Whidbee finished in 25th overall with a score of 89 for day two and 173 for the weekend.

“Georgi and Tracey distinguished themselves not only as team leaders, but also as two of the top players in Div. III women’s golf this weekend,” Head Coach Erika DeSanty said.

The women and Methodist are both expected to be named to the NCAA Div. III golf tournament field when the field is announced on Monday. The NCAA Div. III Championships will take place at the Mission Inn in Howey-in-the-Hills, Fla. from May 13-16.

“This event overall, competing with some of the best programs and players in the country, gave us great perspective on where we are now and where we need to get to in preparing for the NCAA Championships,” DeSanty said. “We have much work ahead, but I’m very excited to see what we can achieve.”