Men’s tennis cruises over conference foes

Men’s tennis (14-5, 7-2 in the NESCAC) finished its regular season on a strong note with three wins over the last week, including two over the weekend in Maine.

The men got by Colby 6-1 on Sunday after beating Bowdoin 7-2 on Saturday and Trinity 5-1 last Wednesday. Williams now awaits Tufts in the first round of the NESCAC Championship this Friday at Bowdoin.

Last weekend saw two big wins for the Ephs. On Sunday at Colby, the men swept all but one match, while two matches did not finish. Co-captain Matt Micheli ’14 lost at No. 1 singles, but Rohan Shastri ’17, Alex Schidlovsky ’16 and Howie Weiss ’16 all won their singles matches in straight sets to end their match early. Shastri won 6-3, 6-2, Schidlovsky was victorious in his match 6-0, 6-2 and Weiss knocked off his opponent 6-4, 6-2. This was after a strong performance in doubles by the Ephs in which the duos of Micheli and Conrad Harron ’17, Shastri and Jose Raventos ’16 and Schidlovsky and Brian Astrachan ’16 all won. The pairs of Micheli and Harron and Shastri and Raventos both won handily by scores of 8-3 and 8-4, respectively. Schidlovsky and Astrachan won up one break by a score of 8-6.

Saturday’s match against Bowdoin also saw Williams sweep the doubles competition with the same pairings. At the No. 1 position, Micheli and Harron notched an impressive 9-7 victory, while both Shastri and Raventos and Schidlovsky and Astrachan rolled to 8-2 victories. The singles portion of the contest saw many matches go to three sets. Williams emerged victorious in four of the six matches, with Micheli, Harron, Weiss and Raventos all picking up wins to bring the final tally to 7-2 in favor of the men. Notably, Weiss emerged victorious in a marathon match in which he won the third and decisive set by a score of 12-10. In addition, Raventos rolled in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.

“Everyone brought great energy to both matches and executed especially well against a tough Bowdoin team,” co-captain Adam Reich ’14 said.

The Trinity match was more of a one-sided affair. The men won all but one match, dropping their only doubles match of the week when Micheli and Harron fell to Trinity’s top duo by a margin of 8-5. At No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, the men rolled 8-3 and 9-7, respectively. Micheli rebounded to win a tight match at No. 1 singles, 7-6, 7-6, and Harron and Shastri picked up the other two singles victories by margins of 6-0, 6-4 and 7-5, 6-3, respectively.

In the NESCAC tournament, Amherst and Middlebury are sure to provide challenging competition for the defending-champion Williams. The men played both teams to close losses in the regular season, falling to Middlebury by a 6-3 count on April 11 and to Amherst by a nail-biting 5-4 decision on April 20. Nevertheless, the Ephs look to take it one step at a time as they try to keep up their recent string of good play.

“We are looking forward to competing this coming weekend,” Reich said. “Our sights are set on beating Tufts.”