Back-to-back complete games propel Ephs

Photo courtesy of Sports Information Jack Roberts ’17 went 4-7 with two runs scored and one RBI in two games against Hamilton.
Photo courtesy of Sports Information
Jack Roberts ’17 went 4-7 with two runs scored and one RBI in two games against Hamilton.

Last Sunday, men’s baseball (10-14, 6-5 in the NESCAC) hosted NESCAC west opponent Hamilton for a doubleheader at Bobby Coombes Field. Williams swept both games, getting the most out of their starting pitching as both Steve Marino ’14 and Thomas Murphy ’15 pitched complete games. The two wins made up for the two midweek losses that Williams suffered against RPI and Skidmore, two non-conference opponents.

In the first game, the Ephs broke the scoring deadlock in the bottom of the third inning. Luke Pierce ’15 smashed a one-out triple over the left fielder’s head. Two batters later, Jack Cloud ’17 drove home Pierce with a ground ball that snuck through the left side of the infield. Both starting pitchers kept their teams in check, as Murphy recorded eight strikeouts helping him pitch out of jams in the third, fifth and sixth. In the seventh inning, however, Hamilton squeaked a run off Murphy with a bases-loaded infield single. However, the Eph bats came through in the bottom of the inning, rewarding Murphy for his strong start. The Ephs loaded the bases on singles by Jack Roberts ’17 and David Rosas ’16 and a walk of tri-captain Matt Kastner ’14. Thomas Stephens ’14 then ripped a ground ball that was fielded by the shortstop. However, Kastner beat out the throw to second and Roberts came home to score the winning run. Murphy threw a complete game to pick up the win for the Ephs.

Building off their momentum from the first game, the Ephs built a two-run lead after three innings in the second game. Stephens drove home Kastner with a single in the first inning and Kastner scored on a wild pitch in the third inning. In the top of the fourth, the Continentals tagged Marino for three extra base hits and three runs. That inning was Marino’s only blemish as he shut down the Continental bats for the rest of the game to give his team a chance. The Ephs’ bats came roaring to life in the sixth inning, as Rosas drove home Roberts with an RBI single. In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Ephs took the lead for good after Stephens scored, thanks to some poor fielding by the Continentals. The Ephs tacked on two insurance runs in the eighth inning, and Marino kept the Continentals quiet, pitching the full nine innings while striking out nine and giving up three earned runs on four hits.

Last Wednesday, the men traveled to Skidmore for a non-conference game. The Ephs lost a close game 4-3 after a late rally could not muster the tying run. Cloud had two hits and two RBIs for the Ephs, while Dan Smith ’16 took the loss despite pitching four strong innings, striking out five and giving up one earned run. On April 22, Williams hosted RPI for another non-conference game. RPI scored early and often against the men, accumulating 15 runs on 13 hits. In the 15-3 loss, Cloud again had two hits and Roberts picked up two RBIs.

“Our starters really stepped up for us this weekend,” tri-captain Charlie Baxter ’14 said. “Steve and Murphy had outstanding performances and carried our team.”

Yesterday, the men traveled to Union for a non-conference game. However, the results of the game came in too late to report. Today, the men will travel to Southern Vermont for another non-conference game. This weekend, Williams will host Hamilton and then two non-conference doubleheaders against Springfield and Suffolk.