Women’s tennis ends 25-match win streak

Last Saturday, women’s tennis (16-1, 5-1 in the NESCAC) traveled to Amherst, where its 25-match win streak ended when the women lost 7-2. On Friday, Williams defeated MIT 9-0.

Heading into the match against Amherst on Saturday, the women were ranked No. 1 in the country, and their opponents were No. 4. Though the team worked hard against Amherst, the women failed to win any of their three doubles matches. Co-captain Kara Shoemaker ’14 and partner Rebecca Curran ’15 lost their No. 1 match 4-8, while Linda Shin ’17 and Alex Stone ’16 lost 6-8 at No. 3. Co-captain Kathleen Elkins ’14 and Maria Pylypiv ’15 fell just short of victory at No. 2, taking their match to an extra game, but eventually lost 7-9 .

In singles, Shoemaker and Curran were the only two Ephs who pulled off victories. Shoemaker, playing at No. 1, had a great match against Jordan Brewer, winning 6-4, 6-0. Curran also had a great game, beating Zoe Pangalos 6-3, 6-2. Shin lost her first set 2-6, but rallied to win the second 6-4. However, she fell in the third 4-6 to lose the match. Monica Pastor ’15 won her first set 6-4 and lost her second 4-6. At that point in the contest, Amherst had already clinched the win so Pastor’s match was decided in a 10-point supertiebreaker instead of a third set. She fought hard, but ended up losing 5-10.

“The loss to Amherst is disappointing, but it gave us some important things we can work on in practice the next two weeks before the NESCAC tournament,” Shoemaker said.

The women grabbed their 25th-straight victory on April 18 when they beat MIT 9-0 at home. On Senior Day, the two captains, Shoemaker and Elkins both won their doubles and singles matches. At No. 1 singles, Shoemaker won her first game against Lauren Quisenberry 6-1 and was winning the second game 3-1, when her opponent retired because of injury.

In doubles, Shoemaker and her partner, Curran, defeated their opponents 8-6. Elkins and Pylypiv won their doubles match 8-3 and Elkins crushed Elysa Kohrs 6-1, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. The No. 3 doubles pair of Stone and  Shin had a close match but fought hard and eventually won 9-8 (2). Shin and Pylpyiv won handily, as each only allowed her opponent to win one game in their singles matches. Shin beat Wendi Kong 6-0, 6-1, and Pylypiv won 6-1, 6-0. Curran won her singles match 6-2, 6-1 and Pastor defeated Vynnie Kong 6-3, 6-2.

The women will look to start a new winning streak in Maine when they travel to play at Bowdoin on Saturday and at Colby on Sunday. Both matches will commence at 10 a.m.