Women’s golf drops to second after tiebreaker

Women’s golf faltered this past weekend at the Jack Leaman Invitational in Amherst, Mass., losing its first tournament of the year in a playoff. Day One of the two-day invitational was especially hard on the team, which emerged in fourth place with a team total of 324. This placed the women six strokes behind leaders Amherst and Ithaca who each shot 318, and just three points behind Merrimack. On Day Two, the Ephs rallied, shooting a team total of 320, which gave them a combined two day score of 644. This tied them for first place with Ithaca, which posted a score of 326 on Day Two. The tiebreaker between the two schools went to Ithaca because their fifth place scorer carded 84, beating out William’s fifth place scorer who carded an 87 for the day. This is the first loss for the Ephs all year.

On Day One, co-captain Georgiana Salant ’14, who carded a two-under par to finish out the day with a 72, led the Ephs. This was enough to place her in first individually for the day. Tracey Kim ’17 followed Salant’s lead, finishing out the first day with an impressive 79. Paige Whidbee ’15, who was playing as an individual and whose score did not affect the team total, came in third for the Ephs with a score of 82 on Day One. Shelby Shote ’15 had some trouble on her short game but still finished out the day relatively strong with a score of 86. Emily Wickstrom ‘14 and Sarah Hasselman ’17 followed closely behind, each carding 87 for the day. The Ephs had not been behind after the first day in a tournament since the Jack Leaman Invitational last year.

On Day Two, the Ephs came back strong but were just short of taking the tournament outright. Once again, the Ephs were led by Salant, who carded a score of 77 on Day Two, to give her a total weekend score of 149. This was good enough for first-place honors and put her four strokes ahead of Sharon Li of Ithaca, who came in second. Kim remained relatively consistent on Day Two, scoring 81 to bring her two-day total to 160. This put her in a four-way tie for sixth place. Whidbee also finished strong, adding just two strokes on Day Two from her score on Day One, which brought her to a total of 166. This tied her for 22nd. Shote came next for the Ephs, improving by five strokes on Day Two, to card an 81. This brought her two-day total to 167, which placed her in 25th overall. Wickstrom and Hasselman finished with impressive scores of 81 and 87 respectively, putting them in 27th and 36th place individually.

“This weekend we found ourselves in a different situation than we were used to,” Salant said. “It was a good experience for us and just reminds us that we need to win everyday and we can’t take anything for granted.”

The Ephs will host the Northeast Elite Invitational at Taconic Golf Club next weekend.