Men’s track secures 26th-straight Little 3

Men’s track and field took home its 26th-straight Little Three title last Saturday after sending two distance runners to Princeton last Friday. At Little Threes, Williams ran away with the meet, compiling 159 points, besting second-place Amherst with 128 points and third-place Wesleyan with 82 points.

“It was a great team effort. We had a number of people step up and have lifetime and season bests,” Head Coach David Thompson said.

The first running event of the day was the 4×100, which the team of co-captain Jared Nowell ’15, Kevin Persons ’16, Nolan Raimo ’16 and Alex Deaderick ’15 won handily with a time of 43.38.

Next up for the men was the 3000-meter steeplechase. The grueling event featured Noah Williams ’17 and David Folsom ’17 who finished with times of 10:02.82 and 10:03.90, respectively. In the following event, the 5k, Max LaBerge ’14 and Kyle Kistinger ’16 competed extremely well, placing third and fourth with times of 15:56.90 and 16:03.62, respectively.

Three men notched personal records in the 800 meter, which was a key event for the Ephs in terms of scoring. Steven Yannacone ’17 won the event with a collegiate best time of 1:54.37, and co-captain Nick Wolf ’14 was close behind with 1:54.78. Sam Burrington ’17 finished the event with a time of 1:56.81. In the 1500, an Eph pack consisting of Cole Townsend ’15, Aldis Inde ’15 and co-captain Chris Lee ’14 separated themselves from the rest of the field. Inde and Townsend battled to the finish with Inde coming away with the win in 4:00.74 and Townsend close behind in 4:03.51. Both men’s times qualify them for Div. III New Englands.

In the 110-meter hurdles, Reid Pryzant ’16 came away for the win in 15.28, which ranks him third in the NESCAC. Nowell had a big day as well, taking second in the 100 meter with a time of 11.09 and third in the 200 meter in 22.46. Both of Nowell’s individual races were personal records and qualified him for Div. III New Englands. Izzy Davila ’16 raced to a personal record time of 58.18 in the 400 meter.

In the high jump, Ian Outhwaite ’17 and Youle Chen ’17 took the top two spots. Outhwaite and Chen both cleared an impressive height of 6.00 feet. Chen also came back to place second in the triple jump with a leap of 12.61 meters. Matthew Marcarelli ’17 had his first collegiate win in the shot put with a throw of 13.10 meters and also scored in the discus with a throw of 32.23 meters, good for third place.

Last Friday, Colin Cotton ’15 and Bijan Mazaheri ’16 competed in the 5k at Princeton. Cotton finished with an impressive 14:22, a personal record and a mere 0.2 seconds off the school record. The time ranks him seventh in Div. III. Mazaheri also finished with a personal record time of 14:29 and is now ranked 14th in Div. III.

“The team came together and had a great win … We are looking very strong as we head into next week in preparation for NESCACs,” Nowell said. “I thought the team fed off the positive energy of the earlier good performances and kept the momentum going from there,” Thompson said.

This weekend the men will be heading up to Maine for NESCAC Championships at Colby.